FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wireless Interference

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Linda O'Connell
Wireless Interference
on Sep 3, 2012 at 11:11:36 pm

I am currently using a Samson (that I bought from B&H) wireless lav microphone that I use for the groom at the weddings I shot.
Two wedding ago I got a lot of interference..just short statics bits a time..sometimes we were both still..sometimes I was moving, but never very far away from the groom while shooting in a church. At first I thought I was interfering with the PA system? Something close to the church? Not sure. I took it as a fluke.
Next wedding was outside on a farm in the middle of nowhere. There were only about 30 people there so I was always pretty close to the groom. Same thing happened.
Also replaced batteries before each ceremony. I also used a different camera each time to see if that was the problem. Is this normal? I have the microphone system for about 4 years..but I only use it about once a month. I take very good care of it, repackaging after every use. I remember it costing about $175.
Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Wireless Interference
on Sep 4, 2012 at 3:48:55 am

Since you're getting interference in two different locations it's probably not RF issues. I would first check the lav mic for an intermittent connection by plugging it into your system and listen for any noise that can be induced by moving the mic cable at the ends. If there's a problem at the connector end it most likely be repaired, if it's at the capsule end, a new mic is called for.

If that doesn't solve the problem then I would seriously think about a new wireless system. It doesn't pay to try and get it fixed as the cost will be close to what you paid 4 years ago.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Sep 4, 2012 at 8:50:51 am

have you tried moving frequencies
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Linda O'Connell
on Sep 4, 2012 at 12:01:16 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will probably just invest in a new one. I had "heard" that sometimes even cell phones can interfere with mics but that doesn't seem to be the case. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't "normal" before I bought a new one.

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Sep 4, 2012 at 3:41:36 pm

Is the wireless VHF or UHF? VHF does tend to be more susceptible to random RF hits, and is also more susceptible to drop-outs when something comes between the transmitter and the receiver. If/when you upgrade get UHF and something of better quality than Samson.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Sep 5, 2012 at 1:37:40 pm

The Sennheiser G3 wireless receiver will scan the RF spectrum for open channels (frequencies). You select one and then sync the transmitter's frequency to the receiver. This takes about a minute and you can do it at every location you shoot.

Another thought is to check the setting of the squelch control on your receiver. Basically, squelch sets how sensitive you want your receiver to be to transmissions in your area. The idea is your transmitter will be the strongest signal since it's close. So the squelch is set to open up when it "hears" your transmitter's signal. If your squelch is set too low, your receiver might "hear" brief bits of other transmissions. In this case either local or strong distant transmitters might activate the squelch for a moment causing an audio glitch.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Sep 5, 2012 at 5:30:04 pm

Hello Linda and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I'm not sure how you're deciding that cell phones are not the problem, but smart phones can drop the effective distance of wireless mics to a foot or less. Been there. Done that.

I have, on several occasions, passed a basket around to collect everyone's cell phone so they won't be tempted to fire up and screw up the audio.

Cell phones can be sort of off and still cause problems. They need to be DEAD OFF.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]