FORUMS: list search recent posts

7.1 surround setup/hardware for post

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roman Dent
7.1 surround setup/hardware for post
on Aug 30, 2012 at 3:09:32 am

I'm in the process of setting up an edit suite in a converted garage at a new residence. I will be running a 16-core HP Z Workstation and will primarily be using Adobe CS6 production premium, AVID Symphony, and Pro Tools and Nuendo for sound design. I don't plan on doing any rigorous sound mastering, but I'd like to have a high end 7.1 surround sound setup in the room (it's a standard 2 car garage size that will be fully sound proofed) in order to do some basic 5.1/7.1 sound design but more importantly to present clients with an immersive viewing/listening experience with lossless, unprecedented sound quality that can run from my computer. I'm thinking of doing a 'behind screen' setup as well (installing a 10ft projector screen). Also, I need a top quality, yet affordable 10-12 channel mixer board that allows me to alternate between the 7.1 system and a pair of Stereo audio monitors. I assume I may need some AJA/Blackmagic hardware to run the audio from Premiere or AVID, or an amplifier for the 7.1 system, so I will need some guidance on what hardware/equipment I should invest in.
I've never used a mixer before with a Mac or PC; can I just run the mixer through USB or firewire/Thunderbolt? Also, any suggestions on speakers is helpful; For my close range monitors I'm leaning towards M-Audio' Bx 8's or Behringer's MS40's. For my Surround setup, I'm thinking either high end JBL's, or QSC's Cinema Speakers. Which is better for that room size?
Any recommendations on general equipment/setup is welcomed.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: 7.1 surround setup/hardware for post
on Aug 30, 2012 at 8:55:26 am

HI
I dont know where you live but if i were you Id talk to a Pro Audio speciallist supplier in your country. They should have a range of options from different manufacturers and prices that will fit your needs and will have the necessary bg understanding to ensure it all works the way you want it to.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]