FORUMS: list search recent posts

shure fp5 and fp1 - the worst mic I ever used ?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
shure fp5 and fp1 - the worst mic I ever used ?
on Aug 29, 2012 at 4:12:46 pm

Hi -
I have never used this wireless pack. Maybe I am doing something very wrong, but with the gain cranked all the way up, and fresh batteries (and tuned correctly) - the mic has poor gain, poor sound,
very directional for a lav mic, and terrible reception. I put in some generic Sony's and they were dramatically better on this job. Am I crazy - is this a poor product, or am I doing something very stupid ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: shure fp5 and fp1 - the worst mic I ever used ?
on Aug 30, 2012 at 5:40:25 am

Don't know unless you supply more details as to what was connected to what.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Aug 30, 2012 at 12:59:22 pm

connected to a Behringer 24 input mixer. Job now has 7 Sony Wireless, and 2 wired sennenheiser
mics on it - everything sounds great (being used for Republican National Convention) - with the 4 Shure FP5's, there was hiss, noise, dropouts, etc. With the Sony's - no problem. All new batteries.
System is working perfectly. I was wondering if there was an obvious "setup" thing that I was missing.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Aug 30, 2012 at 2:04:38 pm

Could you have more than one wireless on the same frequency as the Shure units?

Eric

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Aug 30, 2012 at 6:37:50 pm

No doubt that is one hellishly rf-rich environment. Are your receivers picking up strong signals with your transmitters off? I would be very surprised if there isn't a ton of cross-channel interference going on in that place. Almost makes me glad the proposal to hire me to do some video of events there didn't pan out.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Aug 31, 2012 at 1:03:15 pm

Big sports events like the Superbowl have extensive frequency coordination to keep all the RF spectrum users from stepping on each other. I'm rather surprised that big events like national political conventions don't have similar services available (or mandatory in the case of the Superbowl as I understand).

But the symptoms sound like audio gain-staging problems, not RF problems (which typically have different symptoms). OTOH, it is a rather low-end product, somewhat below the minimum "decent" example of wireless gear that is worth using (Sennheiser G3, etc.)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 1, 2012 at 1:16:45 am

If you still have these Shures, the best thing to do is to isolate the problem. Try them in an environment where there isn't a lot of competition. Try them with xlr adapter. Try different fresh batteries. The fact that you had the gain cranked all the way up suggests there was a problem. The very first time I tried a Senn. G2 system I had terrible sound with this constant buzzing. There was something in the air where I live. In every other environment I tried them they were very reliable. It's possible that an auto sync cordless system in crowded air doesn't work well. BTW my Sony UTX-B2 and URX-P2 works fine at home.

What do you mean by generic Sony's?

Did you set the transmitters to 0 or -10. If 0, was the poor sound one of distortion?

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]