FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues Recording Audio with DVX-100B

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lynette Gilbert
Issues Recording Audio with DVX-100B
on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:05:29 pm

I have an Audio Technica 1800 series wireless mic (receiver is 1820, transmitter is 1801). When I use it in the studio and it's connected straight to the computer, the sound is gorgeous. When I use it in the field with my DVX-100B, however, I have horrible distortion (random peaking). However, when I use any other mic with my camera, it's fine.

I've tried adjusting the gain, I've turned down the receiver level, to no avail. Even if the levels are barely registering on the camera, I still get distortion. (I know next to nothing about audio, so I'm just going by what the manuals say.)

The mic gain on the camera is set to -50db (the only other choice is -60db).

Like I said - all the other mics I use in conjunction with this camera work fine, and the wireless is fine when I'm in the studio recording to the computer. Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
Re: Issues Recording Audio with DVX-100B
on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:15:01 pm

You have the 48V Phantom power on the camera turned off, right?

Michael Paul
Location Sound Corp

Return to posts index

Lynette Gilbert
on Aug 22, 2012 at 4:44:28 pm

Yes.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:15:34 pm

Well, the first thing to do would be to plug some headphones into the Monitor jack on the bottom of the receiver. See if it sounds distorted there. If so, your problem is with the wireless, not the camera, and you'd want to check the gain settings starting with the transmitter.

With a mic plugged into the transmitter, adjust the Audio Input Level (in the Menus)so that when speaking into the mic, you get an AF indication on the receiver of no higher than "0". The default setting for the AT transmitter is usually "+6", but you can set that lower to either "0" or "-6".

Once that is done, and you aren't hearing any distortion at the receiver through your headphones, set the output level of the receiver to match the input level that the camera is set to receive. Also, if you are using CH1 of the receiver, make sure the Output Select switch on the bottom of the receiver (for Output A) is set to "1" and not "Mix". Same goes if you're using Ch2.

Turn the rotary "Receiver Level" knob for the channel you are using all the way down.

Make sure the Camera is set to Mic Input, and that any Automatic gain function is turned off. Phantom power, like I asked before, should be off. Plug your headphones into the camera, and adjust the gain so that you get a good level. There might be a little triangle marker on the camera's meters, and you'll want to have your audio peaking right about there.

If none of that helps, try simple things like a different cable between the receiver and the camera, or a different mic if you have it

Michael Paul
Location Sound Corp

Return to posts index

Lynette Gilbert
on Aug 22, 2012 at 5:41:37 pm

I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]