FORUMS: list search recent posts

Omnidirectional vs cardiod vs hyper cardiod

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
beor ong
Omnidirectional vs cardiod vs hyper cardiod
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:10:45 am

I know this question has probably been asked a few times, but im really struggling to find a definitive answer for me..
Im planning on buying a sony PJ760V or a NX30U, but i want an external microphone to attach to it, im just wondering what type would be the best to get and suggestions on particular microphones.
Im looking to spend up to about 6-800 dollars, and primarily for use of home videos, i understand a shotgun mic would probably give the best audio quality but i want to be able to record conversations as well so im looking for a good omnidirectional or cardiod mic?

as for a hypercardiod mic i think ive settled on the tinymike if thats the direction i want to go in...

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: Omnidirectional vs cardiod vs hyper cardiod
on Aug 16, 2012 at 9:21:24 am

So are you after a camera mic? a hand held interview mic? an SFX mic? is the mic to be seen in your shots? what sort of stuff are you shooting? what sort of locations will you be at? how far will the person be away from the microphone when they are talking?

These are all critical decisions that need to be made before recommendations could be made.... and that's why 'Professional' sound people have a kit with various mics just like a golfer has a bag full of clubs and doesn't use just one club.

Or put it another way do you have just one pair of shoes or do you have several pairs of shoes to suit various situations?

Return to posts index

beor ong
on Aug 16, 2012 at 12:05:10 pm

yep im after a on board camera mic for now that can be attached to the hot shoe of a camera, like i said previously its primarily for home videos to try and capture group conversations with as well, approximately 2-3 m away at the most.

I do apologize if i seem a bit ignorant about audio, i know my way around a camera, just not around sound =[ thanks for the help though

Return to posts index

David Watson
on Aug 16, 2012 at 3:02:49 pm

You probably don't want an omni, nor a shotgun. These capture sounds from the sides and back and if you're attaching the mic to the camera, you'll want to mainly (or solely) get audio from the front of the mic. I'm not too sure myself about cardioid vs hypercardioid, but I believe you'll want a cardioid. One good Youtube vid that will explain the polar patterns of the different types is:

. My suggestion is to get a dynamic mic over a condenser (shotguns are usually condensers). Dynamics are the type used in live sound and condensers in studio. Condensers are a lot more sensitive and will pick up the smallest sounds.

David H. Watson
dEhiN Entertainment

Return to posts index

Alain Koffi Sessi
on Aug 16, 2012 at 5:33:19 pm

Hi Beor,

Based on your requirements, I think your best bet is a shotgun mic. Someone suggested a dynamic mic. Although not a bad choice, the result of a dynamic mic mounted on a camera three or four feet away from the source, obviously will not give you the same results as a condenser mic in the same situation. If you can, experiment with both options to see which one you like best. You local guitar center may accommodate you. It's even better if you can borrow the mics from someone you know.

Cheers.

Alain Koffi Sessi
Sound Designer

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 16, 2012 at 11:54:35 pm

Why not use the accessory mics made by the camera maker to suit your camera or even have a look at Rode camera mics... they were / are designed for camcorders.
http://www.rodemic.com/mics/videomic/
http://www.rodemic.com/mics/videomicpro
http://www.rodemic.com/mics/stereovideomicpro

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]