FORUMS: list search recent posts

H4n Zoom with Lav mic problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Mike
H4n Zoom with Lav mic problem
on Aug 15, 2012 at 3:50:32 am

Hi

I just purchased a H4n Zoom device and I'm trying to figure out how to use it with my Lav Mic. After plugging the Lav receiver plug into the 1/8 slot on the H4n I was hoping it would act like a external mic but it doesn't. I tried to talk on my wireless lav mic and its not picking up anything. I tap on the H4n built in mic and its apparently picking up signal from there on "Mic" INPUT mode. When I switch it over to "1 , 2" INPUT mode nothing picks up even with the internal mic. Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong. Am I missing a setting or something?? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: H4n Zoom with Lav mic problem
on Aug 15, 2012 at 6:52:34 am

Time to get out the H4n operation manual.... chapter 6 explains how to use external inputs into the H4n.
The 3.5mm mic input on the back of the unit is a STEREO socket and designed for an external stereo microphone not a mono output from a radio mic, in fact it might not even work UNLESS you have a correctly made cable.
The best way is to use the XLR connections on the base of the H4n.

The difference between Knowledge and Wisdom is... Knowledge is the knowing of facts.... Wisdom is the sensible application of good quality knowledge...

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: H4n Zoom with Lav mic problem
on Aug 15, 2012 at 8:53:43 am

I learn something new everyday.
Id never even seen that 3.5mm jack on the back of the unit. Indeed i had it covered with lokgrip for mounting to my sqn strap!
NOT THAT ID EVER USE IT!!

The wireless mic is as you say, a mono device. Ive never seen a radio receiver with a 3.5mm jack as its output, but youll need a cable to take it to an xlr.

Is the 3.5mm jack on the radio receiver balanced (3 pole) or unbalanced (2 pole)?? That will affect the soldering youll need to do.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]