FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Wireless Lav Mic's For live events

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rex Polanis
Multiple Wireless Lav Mic's For live events
on Aug 11, 2012 at 5:11:06 pm

What would you suggest for a multiple wireless lava mic setup for live events? I generally shot weddings and I want to be able to get clean audio of the bride, groom, officiant, and whoever else may need miking. Is there a system that comes with multiple transmitters and one receiver?

Right now I use a Sony UWP wireless transmitter and receiver running into one of my 7Ds. I only mic the groom and this has worked most of the time. But, when I shoot a wedding where the couple sit aside, or across the room, while the officiant delivers a message the audio is muffled and bad. I also use a H4n taking a feed from the venue's soundboard running into a DI box (which is the only way I found to get the D*&% thing to get decent audio, grrr!). But some times venues and church's have their sound boards locked up or not accessible so I have to rely on my single Sony Lav.

Suggestions? What is your set up? Thank you.

One man with courage makes a majority.

Canon 7D
Sony Vegas Pro 11
Adobe CS6 Master Suite

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Multiple Wireless Lav Mic's For live events
on Aug 11, 2012 at 11:31:24 pm

[Rex Polanis] "Is there a system that comes with multiple transmitters and one receiver?"

Not really.

The opposite, one transmitter and multiple receivers, is simple. But for each transmitter you need at least one receiver and the two devices must establish some from of "carrier wave" for the transmission to take place. Multiple transmitters on the same carrier results in a garbled mess.

You can certainly feed multiple transmitter/receiver combos into a mixer and record the output of that to a single recorder, but when you do that, it's like mixing paint. You can't separate the signals out later.

In these days of inexpensive digital recorders, if I was doing event work, I'd put one wireless lav on the bride for "safety" audio that I could monitor during the ceremony - and then a digital recorder/lav mic on each separate participant. That way you could simply do your audio mixing in post.

My 2 cents, anyway.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 12, 2012 at 9:13:55 am

HI
I occasionally do weddings and have this attitude.

If you speak, you wear a mic.
typical setup
1) rifle mic on floor pointing at B&G for ceremony (NEVER RELY ON A RADIO 100%)
2) radio mic on Groom
3) radio mic on vicar/official
3) radio mic on lectern for readings
4) zoom recorder nearby as a failsafe or to record choir in stereo

Speeches
Everyone who makes a speech wears a radio mic AND the toast master as they speak too.

Evening
Radio link the bands PA desk back to all cameras with a mix between the PA sound on camera mic and direct feed in post.

The only answer if you want to do the audio properly is to spend the money.

Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Aug 12, 2012 at 11:47:26 pm

The Audio Technica 1800 series includes a version with a dual-channel receiver with separate outputs and volume controls. Azden also has a dual channel system but I'd put my faith in Audio Technica. They have kits that include two lavs, a lav and plug-on (for handhelds) or one of each. I use the 1800 series and it works great.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]