FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking for Stereo Mic Suggestions

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Cowles
Looking for Stereo Mic Suggestions
on Aug 4, 2012 at 1:21:05 am

Hi --

I'm looking for a good stereo mic that would be versatile enough to allow me to get high quality results when recording interviews as well as field / wild sound.

This mic is for my Sony PCM D50. I have a lot of decent balanced mono xlr mics, I'm looking for a stereo mini TRS specifically to use with this recorder.

Price range is somewhere in the $250 - 500 range, though I might be compelled to go higher if there was a good enough reason. Also, small and unobtrusive for interviews would be good.

Thanks,
Dan

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Looking for Stereo Mic Suggestions
on Aug 4, 2012 at 4:39:28 am

You really don't want to use a stereo mic for dialog recording. While it can be done it gets wierd in editing & post. Mono for dialog and save the stereo for ambience/effects and atmospheres.

Eric

Return to posts index

Dan Cowles
on Aug 4, 2012 at 4:48:23 am

Makes sense ... any suggestions for a good all purpose stereo mic for this unit for the aforementioned ambience, effects, field sound?

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
on Aug 4, 2012 at 8:27:48 am

Rode NT4
Sounds good, low noise floor, 9v battery or phantom power, simple with good results.

Return to posts index

Chris Conlee
on Aug 4, 2012 at 2:58:14 pm

I like the Rode, but LOVE the Audio Technica BP4025, although it's a tad above your price point. As with many things audio related, what's best is often subjective.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 4, 2012 at 4:36:26 pm

Hello Dan and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Everything's been said, but I'll toss in for the BP4025 as well. Large diameter capsules mean low self noise and cleaner recordings.

Lemme see if I can find the sample I recorded here when I reviewed it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7f0qg6se5bzvbev/ATBP4025ambi08.wav

There you go.

You'll need more wind protection than the foam that comes with it, and which I used on this recording.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]