FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interview Audio Problem

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Richard Kuenneke
Interview Audio Problem
on Jul 31, 2012 at 11:00:58 pm

I'm trying to remove the hiss in an audio interview through the tools available in FCPX and not having much success. I've tried posting a clip of the audio on this forum and that didn't seem to work either.

Rich

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Interview Audio Problem
on Aug 1, 2012 at 4:28:30 am

Broadband noise (such as "hiss" or "white noise") is the worst case to try to remove. Because it occupies all the same frequencies as the desired signal (which you DON'T want to remove.) Consider that it may be easier to record it again (properly) vs. trying to "remove" broadband noise. It also depends on the subject matter, and your expectations of quality.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 1, 2012 at 7:31:38 am

Where is the clip you posted. i dont see it
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:30:17 pm

Hey Richard,

Thanks for the heads-up on your upload problem. Something isn't right and I have sent a note along to the web folks.

I did hear your clip when you sent it to me outside the cow. Do you know how the noise was generated? I ask to try and help you from ending up there in the future.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:45:31 pm

Ty:

Thank you and everyone for the comments and help on this.

I took the advice of one responder and decided to ask for a re-do on the interviews. Based on what I've been told, the white noise is such that it affects every frequency and cannot be removed without taking desirable frequencies with it!

I plugged my microphone directly into the mic input on my Canon T3i. I did not hear the noise while recording. I've attempted to use just about every audio filter/setting on FCPX and couldn't eliminate the problem without - as mentioned above - loosing some good stuff.

Lesson learned. I hope - but I'm getting too old to keep learning lessons like this.

Rich

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:18:17 pm

Richard,

Please be advised that DSLR cameras, in general, do not have acceptable audio recording capability.

Were you previously able to record audio without hiss on this camera?

Does this camera allow you to monitor audio in headphones?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:36:06 pm

I recorded a few minutes and played back and it sounded fine. No I did not monitor with headphones - which I know is a Cardinal sin and won't happen again, Padre.

Yes - I did record some quick interviews on another project and they sounded great.

I took a shortcut and got caught. Now I'll pay the price with another half-day of my time - not to mention the time of four people.

Rich

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 1, 2012 at 2:44:04 pm

Richard,

Well, venial anyway. ;)

So what did you do differently to get good sound?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 1, 2012 at 3:15:51 pm

I use a suspended microphone - usually a shotgun - and record on a Tascam DR100 and then sync everything in post.

My client is far less forgiving - and basically declined my request for an interview re-do.

As part of my effort to correct this mistake, I bought a tutorial on audio filters, etc. I hear the changes being made by the expert - but I just don't understand how those changes improve the quality of the audio. I know audio is a fine art and science - but to my unprofessional ear it just doesn't stick. To be a good audio mixer you REALLY have to be able to hear the difference and know how one element is better than the next. I know the viewer can tell - I accept that. But even after spending money on a tutorial, I still don't get it.

I bought the training through Ripple.com. I love what they do - but the audio course tended to confuse more than anything.

Rich

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 1, 2012 at 3:22:34 pm

Richard,

I go back to my original comment. DSLRs and mics are usually a bad combination. I wouldn't try that again without extensive experimentation. In general, mics and DSLRs don't work well together.

So that was the short cut to which you were referring?

Re; the training. What were you listening on? monitors, headphones?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 1, 2012 at 6:13:55 pm

Ty:

The shortcut was to plug the mic directly into the Canon T3i and avoid using the Tascam DR100.

I was listening to the training on headphones.

Rich

Rich

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 1, 2012 at 7:23:05 pm

Richard,

Wow the DSLR has a headphone out jack!
That's actually sort of impressive.

You might want to check to see if your headphones were passing the noise and you missed it.

I use Sony MDR7506 headphones on shoots because they are very sensitive.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 1, 2012 at 7:32:48 pm

I said I played it back - I did not say I listened to it with headphones - nor did I say there was a headphone jack on the DSLR.

Rich

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 2, 2012 at 8:21:09 am

I agree with TY.

DSLR's make pretty pictures, and pretty awful sound. The audio is an reluctant afterthought on most.
1) Horrible 3.5mm jack inputs (makes me lose sleep the thought of a mini jack)
2) Rubbish mic pre amp and input stage electronics
3) Poor noise floor figures
4) "Often" fixed Automatic gain control
5) Insufficient metering to worsen the noise floor issues
6) Poor monitoring output facilities
7) Operators who arent really interested or thinking about the audio until it becomes a problem.

7 Good reasons NOT to do it.
Solution. If you want to shoot pictures on a dslr, put your mics through a mixer, feed the dslr with a scratch track for syncing purposes and record real sound on a real sound recorder. Sync in the edit or use pluraleyes if its a big project.

For the record, Whilst Im head of Sound in our company, NO ONE will be recording audio on a DSLR until Im shown a camera that had 100% addressed ALL of the issues 1-6.

Peter

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 2, 2012 at 11:44:02 am

Bravo. And I agree.

Rich

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 2, 2012 at 8:22:57 am

Richard

Did you ever actually post this audio. As your client has rejected the re shoot, you should let us have a go with tools way beyond FCP abilities.
Peter

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 2, 2012 at 11:52:25 am

Peter: The entire reason for posting my message was to see if the problem could be fixed. But I dropped the idea after it was suggested broad white noise/static cannot be removed without causing harm to the rest of the audio. I'd love to get someone's opinion as to whether the file can be fixed or not.

If you can send me your email address, I'll forward the clip to you.

richard (at) oakviewroadmedia.com

Rich

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 2, 2012 at 1:21:48 pm

Richard,

Just so you know, broadband noise and/or white noise is actually a pretty good target for noise reduction as long as it's constant in frequency and volume. It's when things get a bit wiggly that the difficulty occurs.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 6, 2012 at 2:56:06 pm

Hi Ty
I fixed all of Richards audio for him.
peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:34:10 pm

Peter,

What a nice thing to do! I'm sure he appreciates it.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Richard Kuenneke
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:55:30 pm

Many thanks to Mr. Groom for his heroic repair of my audio problem. I cannot thank him enough for his help after other determined such a problem couldn't be fixed. The client approved and all is well.

Now I'm trying to figure out how I can repay the favor.

Rich

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 6, 2012 at 8:25:09 pm

HI Richard.
Theres no need to repay a favour. I get well paid to persue my hobby, which is good enough for me.
That is one of the real plus points of web based help forums like this one, and i have neem the grateful recipient of advice and help over the years from many forums that make it a rich place to hang out.

Buy me a beer next time im in your town! (your money may well be safe!)
Peter

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 6, 2012 at 8:25:17 pm

NB Im pleased your client is now happy. Thats the main thing.
Peter

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:55:52 pm

Very kind of you, Peter!

I'd like to hear a bit more about what you did (not having heard the original or conditioned audio).

-nick

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Aug 10, 2012 at 6:59:21 pm

I see that this particular case as been resolved and there are number of good tips on getting good audio to begin with, particularly with DSLRs.

I wanted to pipe in and say that I'm not fond of the noise reduction in FCPX, nor did I like it in Soundtrack.

In my limited experiences, I've been very impressed with Izotope RX, but it is not inexpensive. If you can cover the cost, I consider it a very worthwhile investment. I'm also impressed with the capabilities within the free and open-source Audacity.

-nick

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 10, 2012 at 8:34:32 pm

HI NIck
I adjusted the overall levels down to an optimum level and then used
2 passes of izotope rx in noise reduction mode to filter and significantly lessen the bg noise. also dropped off a little lf.

Peter

Return to posts index

Malcolm Matusky
on Oct 16, 2012 at 9:56:27 pm

I have been shooting with DSLR's (2) for a couple of years and would never use the on camera sound for anything but a "scratch track" to synch production sound from a decent recorder. Shoot double system and you will take advantage of great picture with the camera and great sound with a dedicated recorder.

Malcolm
http://www.malcolmproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]