FORUMS: list search recent posts

podcasting and voiceover mic comparison opinions please.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason zaloga
podcasting and voiceover mic comparison opinions please.
on Jul 31, 2012 at 10:17:19 pm

I'm looking for a usb mic for podcasting and voiceovers. I've been looking at the Yeti Multi-Pattern USB Microphone and the Rode podcaster, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ns=p_OVER_ALL_RATE%7c1&ci=14713&N=4241...

I like the Rode podcaster just because of the sound quality on there website,

The yeti is much more enticing because of the cost. What do you guys think about these two microphones and are there any other alternatives in or under around $200.

thanks

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: podcasting and voiceover mic comparison opinions please.
on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:03:27 pm

Hello Jason and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I think the Audio Technica AT2020USB fits in there somewhere.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/552791-REG/Audio_Technica_AT2020USB_A...

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Aug 1, 2012 at 6:43:17 pm

Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:46:29 am

To my ears, these mics are all uniformly meh - sounding hardly much better in performance above 800 hz than the clip on Lav the host uses for the open. The difference you hear is somewhat better low end performance that hardly any micro lav seeks to match - since that's not really desirable in a lav or other mic prone to breath pops (something that more or less infects most of the audio displayed in these examples.)

I think it's also kinda cute when the guy sets up the "studio mic" on the table in the bar/restaurant. That's a hoot! Cuz no sound engineer worth their paycheck would use this type of mic in actual location recording like this! But heck - these Mics appear to generally rip off the signature look of the venerable EV-RE20 - so that MUST mean they're "professional!" Right?

If you're recording a podcast in a bar, this style of "stand mic" is universally a pretty crappy choice. A headwork boom would do worlds better, be more consistent and provide a much better S/N ratio.

Rode came on my personal radar selling a device called the "Video Mic" - which was designed for on-camera mounting.

Understand that on-camera mounting is the single WORST mistake any audio for video recordist can make. ENG folks do it out of necessity when they can't do anything else. But it's typically a recording technique of last choice. So building a company reputation on a somewhat better version of a crappy audio approach never impressed me much. So I've always had trouble thinking of them as an actual audio equipment company over a primarily sales and marking one.

For disclosure, I've never owned a piece of their gear - so perhaps it's a good value and just incidental that I've never once seen a pro engineer or audio expert use one of these on a set or in any studio I've worked in.

To find really excellent equipment, my advice would be to go out in the real world and talk to people who record audio for video for a living. The ones who sink or swim on consistent delivery of work, rain or shine. They'll know what equipment is both appropriate and dependable. Then make your buying choices based on that - rather than manufacturer sponsored web video clips.

My 2 cents, anyway.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Aug 2, 2012 at 6:28:53 am

So what would your appropriate and dependable recommendation be? Isn't this a pro forum of whom people record audio for video for a living??

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 2, 2012 at 12:49:27 pm

Hi Jason,

Please know that in recording studios, voiceovers are typically done on more expensive mics, some costing thousands of dollars. OTOH, the mic of choice for many live venues remains the Shure SM58 which is typically bought at about $100.

I demoed the Podcaster years ago when it came out and found it and the AT2020USB both OK.

A good acoustical environment is as important as the mic itself. A great mic in a bad room probably won't sound as good as a lesser mic in a better room.

Perhaps you can tell us more about the kind of work you expect to do?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Aug 2, 2012 at 6:46:24 pm

@Ty Ford
I want a mic for video tutorials and some voiceover work (maybe). The voiceover work would be used for indie authors book trailers on Amazon. The home office setup is 8'hx8'wx20'l, fan above (will be off when recording), computer setup in front of the window with blinds. I know every little nuance will effect the outcome quality of the recording but i'm just trying to make do with what I have.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 2, 2012 at 8:19:25 pm

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the description. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, setting up in front of a window is not a good idea because outside sounds penetrate normal window glass pretty easily. Even if you have super windows, having large hard reflective surfaces (window panes) to bounce your voice back at you is a bad idea.

You need a balance of absorptive and diffusive surfaces to absorb. breakup the soundwaves. Here's my room. It's 25 x 35. Notice I have placed foam at some spots along the walls. I have covered some of the ceiling tiles with foam. I have wall to wall plus a carpet and objects like the CD tower across the room are placed to help breakup the bouncing sound. To the left you can see a corner of the entire wall of LPs on shelves. They make a great diffuser that covers the entire end wall. To the right you can see my gray muslin backdrop against which I shoot video. It also damps sound pretty nicely.

UNless you are prepared to do the whole space, get some fabric-covered office cubicle dividers and drop a few panels from the ceiling to stop ceiling bounce.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Aug 2, 2012 at 8:51:51 pm

Wow, that's a really nice room but I think that's too far beyond what I want to invest in, maybe in the future. Would you still recommend the Audio Technica AT2020USB for what I want to do over the Rode and Blue mic?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 2, 2012 at 10:04:07 pm

Thanks,

And all in the comfort of my home. That's the best part. Any day I don't have to deal with traffic is a good day.

The Rode Podcaster has an onboard headphone jack so you can plug right in and hear yourself on mic. The AT2020USB does not. That explains part of the price difference.

Neither are world class mics, but both will do the job you want. You still need to deal with room acoustics and noise abatement from outside.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Aug 2, 2012 at 10:31:21 pm

Great advice. Thank you.

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Jan 14, 2013 at 6:38:15 pm

Ty,
I just got some equipment and I have a few more questions.
I did get some foam for the walls and I tried covering the window and glass with heavy duty blankets.
It's probably not the best professional solution but I have to try with what I have, so for me it seems to work. I covered my computer tower to dampen the humming fan sounds, that also helped. But now I have a hum coming from my ViewSonic monitor that I never heard before. Here is the question. I think I bought the wrong style mic because the mic is picking up the hum from the monitor, so I think. It's very faint but it is there. I also was wondering since I have to record while typing, how can I record without the keyboard and mouse click sounds. I was told it would help if I got a different style mic, one that only records in one direction. I played with the settings both on the mixer and headphones but since this is my first time it's hard to hear the difference with and without the headphones on. I just want a reasonable level of quality. I get that this is not a professional setup and I should expect non-professional results but I guess I'm looking for the best with what I have. Any help or ideas you can give me?

Thanks.

Apple based recording.
Recording with Adobe Audition
Recording with ScreenFlow

- Rode studio boom arm
- Alesis MultiMix 4 4-Channel Audio Mixer with USB Connector
- 1/4 to 1/4 Monster cables
- M-Audio AV40 studio monitors
- Audio Technica AT2035 mic with Rode mic cable
- Sennheiser HD 280

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:11:35 pm

Hello Jason,

The AT2035 mic is directional, but I would not suspect that it would be deaf to keyboard fingering, or for that matter would any directional mic.

It might be better with a headworn mic. Like a Countryman B6, because it's closer to your mouth (and therefore hears less of what's around you.) I can't guarantee it'll not hear the keyboard.

Maybe there's a quieter keyboard!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

jason zaloga
on Jan 14, 2013 at 7:33:03 pm

ok thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]