FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeking Mic Advice for Performance

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Evelyn
Seeking Mic Advice for Performance
on Jul 30, 2012 at 2:09:42 pm

Hello, all

In a few weeks, I'm going to shoot a "dress rehearsal" with four cameras of a performance which includes flute, piano, African drum and a single vocalist in a large performance hall. I am interested in getting your opinions on the type of mic to rent. I do not have the budget to hire an audio tech. I will record directly to the cameras and mix in post.

All mics must be hidden from view, so I'll be using a stereo mic on a boom out front. What kind? I have a Shure VP-88 but welcome your suggestions for a better mic.

Thank you, as always, for your help.

-- Bill

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
Re: Seeking Mic Advice for Performance
on Jul 30, 2012 at 4:14:53 pm

For the volume level you are about to encounter, any mono or stereo condenser microphone at all will pick up the performance masterfully. If the performance is indoors then removing the the windproof foam pill is a good idea (if you can still match indoor audio quality to outdoor audio quality in the mix). For now, just use a simple one.

If you eventually go to condenser or ribbon microphones that use injected power you will eventually figure out like I did that hooking up battery boxes that can handle really inconvenient microphone power like used in a Neumann U47 or Telefunken U87 is actually really cool.

If your recording machine has nearly hopeless hiss, hum, and low audio gain, of course the master level on your mixing board will help. Definitely use an oscilloscope to monitor if it is available. Fred Jodry

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 31, 2012 at 12:31:49 am

Hello BIll and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Try your VP88. You probably already know the widest setting increases noise, so try and stay away from that. Any kind of drum can be a pain to record when played with other instruments.

You may benefit from a stereo limiter. If you're using a mixer like a Sound Devices 442 or 552, which have good limiters, you'll be in a lot better shape than if you take the mic directly into the camera. Just don't work it too much.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bill Evelyn
on Aug 1, 2012 at 1:48:32 pm

Thank you, Fred and Ty, for your help.

Take care,

-- Bill