FORUMS: list search recent posts

Only getting left channel from Tascam Dr-40 from XLR input

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Falcone
Only getting left channel from Tascam Dr-40 from XLR input
on Jul 27, 2012 at 6:24:55 pm

Hey guys,

I just bought a Tascam Dr-40 and I'm having trouble with it. I have an Apex175 shotgun mic that connects via XLR to the Tascam. The problem is that it only has one XLR input. Apparently (according to the video store) I should be able to record in two channels, but I'm only getting one!

Help is required urgently as I am filming a short tomorrow.

Return to posts index

Michael Paul
Re: Only getting left channel from Tascam Dr-40 from XLR input
on Jul 27, 2012 at 7:07:41 pm

The DR-40 has two xlr inputs, but you are plugging a single source into it.

If you want to record the sound from the microphone onto both channels, you'll need an XLR "Y" cable which would have one XLR Female end to go into the mic, and that splits out to two XLR Male connectors to plug into the L and R inputs of the DR40.

All you are doing, however, is recording the same thing to both tracks, which isn't really giving you any benefit.

Personally, I would advise plugging the Mic into the Left XLR Input. Press the REC MODE button on the front panel to open that menu. Change the Rec Mode to "MONO" and set the source to EXT.

By doing this, you'll be recording a single track file, which is all you really need (plus, it will save space on the card, so you can record about twice as much audio compared to recording in Stereo).

when you go to edit your footage, just pan that track to the center position if you want to hear it in both speakers.

Michael Paul
Location Sound Corp

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: Only getting left channel from Tascam Dr-40 from XLR input
on Jul 30, 2012 at 9:57:04 am

Good advice
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved