FORUMS: list search recent posts

I need some "All Day" headphones for editing.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Corbin Gross
I need some "All Day" headphones for editing.
on Jul 27, 2012 at 3:27:15 pm

I'm an in-house video department for a wholesaler. I used to have my workstation in the studio but I've been moved out to a desk in the middle of the Marketing dept's cubicle array. Now, of course, I'm getting some complaints about the noise generated by editing content all day. My office mates have asked that I wear headphones.

I'd like something with professional sound quality and durability. But really, it's got to be comfortable to wear for 8-10 hours at a time. I don't mix music, though I often but stock tracks in the background. So these won't be music production monitors, just the editing and checking for weird artifacts and background noises to be repaired.

I'm reading through some old posts to get some ideas and I've culled it down to 4 sets of headphones. These seem to be the ones being recommended when other people have asked similar questions.

Sony MDR-7506
Sony MDR-7509
AKG K 702
Audio-Technica ATH-M50

Can you guys tell me if there's a clear choice? I'm not too worried about budget, they're all reasonable, and they all cost less than the reference monitors I'm using now.

And I can order these "ear cosies" I've been reading about on here too if needed.

Thanks very much for your advice.

Corbin Gross
Photo/Video
SANMAR
Marketing

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: I need some "All Day" headphones for editing.
on Jul 27, 2012 at 5:45:53 pm

For all day use I would choose the Ultrasone HFI 680. I dumped the Sony 7506 as soon as I heard the 680's about 5-6 years ago and never regretted the change. Expect to pay about $200 for the 680's.

Eric

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Jul 27, 2012 at 5:56:56 pm

Oh, that's right. I saw those in one of your other posts. I'll definitely consider those and add them to the list.

What would you say are your favorite characteristics about the 680s that makes them rise above the rest?

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
Photographer/Videographer | Marketing
22833 SE Black Nugget Road | Issaquah, WA 98029
206.727.5501 x5237
http://www.sanmar.com

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 27, 2012 at 7:04:08 pm

They sound better & less fatiguing to listen to than the 7506 which makes everything sound compressed. They are more comfortable to wear for long periods and they have a straight cable, not the "gets tangled up in everything" coily cable.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 27, 2012 at 8:31:13 pm

Eric likes 'em. I think they sound weird (phasey). I don't remember the model number.

Long wearing can be uncomfortable. Cosies can help. I don't know of any phones I'd want on my head for 8 hours. Maybe get two different models to trade off so they won't rub exactly the same spots.

The Sony MDR7509 are very cushy and they don't have the sting of the MDR7506.

Maybe them and the Ultrasones.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Michael Martin
Re: I need some
on Jul 27, 2012 at 9:14:11 pm

I personally use the akg k702s if i can't use monitors the dynamics are amazing and they are really honest, like my focals. They are open back so they might still bug your pesky co-workers. I mainly mix film and TV. I second the ultrasone's because of the closed back style and i know many production mixers who use them on set.

-Michael Martin
Martin Media Company LLC
Location Sound/Audio Post Production/Sound Design

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 28, 2012 at 8:36:45 am

I actually like the Audio Technica ones, I'm very happy with the sound but just as importantly they fit my head very well so I find them comfortable when wearing them for long periods. So I'd recommend trying a few different sets to see how well they they fit you - the best reproduction in the world is no use if you have to keep taking them off because they start to irritate you after an hour of use.

Return to posts index

Fred Jodry
on Jul 30, 2012 at 4:28:18 pm

Get -big- ones and rotate sets of them just like you rotate your boots or shoes.

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Aug 2, 2012 at 4:53:08 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. It sounds like a pretty even distribution of votes. I may try to order all of them and just keep the ones that I like best.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
206.727.5501 x5237

Return to posts index

David Watson
on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:55:49 am

Hey Corbin, not sure if you've made your order yet, but the ones I use are Sony MDR-XD100s. I know these weren't on your list, and tbh I haven't tried any of the others on your list. But I'm adding in my two cents only because I've found these to be incredible for long periods of wear. You can find specs here: http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/sony-mdr-xd100/4507-7877_7-31299089.html. I find these have good balance in terms of frequency response. The specs say they peak at 22KHz, but I haven't noticed an issue with not hearing extremely high frequencies (ie >22KHz). But I do use these as my normal headphones for general media consumption, as well as studio headphones for music and video production, and I've never had any issues. The stock chord is quite long, which is a bonus. I should note though that the ear-cups fit my ears well. If you have bigger ears than the size of the cups, then of course you'll want to look for something else.

David H. Watson
dEhiN Entertainment

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Aug 6, 2012 at 10:55:21 am

Hello David and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You're hearing 22 kHz and above?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

David Watson
on Aug 6, 2012 at 11:25:26 am

Not sure; I tried using Audacity and Mbox 2 - I generated a 22KHz Sine Wave tone. But I couldn't hear the actual tone itself. However, not sure if that's due to Mbox 2 not playing the correct frequency or the headphones.

David H. Watson
dEhiN Entertainment

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Aug 6, 2012 at 2:51:45 pm

I think it's due to being a human and not a dog or a bat. I'm pretty sure people can only here to about 20k. I have a brother in law that says he can hear to 26k, but I think he says a lot of stuff that is only partly true.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
206.727.5501 x5237

Return to posts index

David Watson
on Aug 7, 2012 at 12:38:21 am

Corbin did you end up getting any of the headphones you were looking at? If so, have you tried them out? What did you find?

I realized that the Sony MDR-XD100s I have are most likely consumer headphones, but probably pretty good ones. I like them because compared to most other consumer headphones I've tried, the XD100s have a good non-biased flat frequency response.

However a volunteer film group I'm part of recently purchased a Sennheiser HD 280 headphone. And I get to try it out. So I'll run some tests comparing frequency response and signal level of the HD 280 to the XD100 and post the results.

David H. Watson
dEhiN Entertainment

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Aug 8, 2012 at 2:43:45 pm

I haven't gotten anything yet. I sent a request a few days ago but I haven't heard anything back. I annoy a lot of people so it shouldn't take too long.

Corbin Gross | SANMAR
206.727.5501 x5237

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]