FORUMS: list search recent posts

Putting a sound blanket over my head to record spoken word?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
Putting a sound blanket over my head to record spoken word?
on Jul 11, 2012 at 5:18:11 pm

I want to record some voice overs in a room that normally will not be set up for recording audio. There is a desk in the room that I will put a mixer and a laptop on. I will be connecting a Countryman headset to the mixer and using this to record spoken word. The room has carpet though I'm wondering if instead of putting sound blankets on the walls to dampen sound, if I could just put a sound blanket over my head? Would that be good enough or are there problems with doing that?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Putting a sound blanket over my head to record spoken word?
on Jul 11, 2012 at 7:00:04 pm

Using the Countryman E6 "earset" will do wonders in eliminating the sound of the room. Putting a blanket over your head is fraught with problems such as ventilation, illumination, etc, etc. Try your setup with the E6 and see what the results are. I think you'll find you can leave the blankets in the closet.

Eric

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 11, 2012 at 8:40:35 pm

WE dont have countryman in the uk but is it really a voice recording mic. a headset sounds "small" and therefore not very rounded.
Id not put blankets over your head as the sound will be too close and dead. a nice vo needs a little air in it.....a little.
I thing the fan on the laptop will be too noise. kick it out of the room.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 11, 2012 at 9:12:44 pm

Sorry Peter but the E6 is a voice recording mic designed for less than perfect enviroments and that's how I've used it on many projects. After post gets finished doing their thing it sounds just fine in the intended application. Most likely the OP has the omni capsule which is perfect for the described situation.

Eric

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 12, 2012 at 12:36:02 am

I'm siding with Eric on this.

I do a good bit of public speaking and the first time a venue gave me an E6 I came away very impressed with its response. Not nearly as "thin" as the typical lav or mini boom speech mics I had used before.

Then again, nobody can tell you in advance if any particular mic will give you the sound you want - and all voices and performances are unique. So as always, the mic is really just one small part of the success of any VO.

I suspect that an E6 will do OK. Just make sure you have the means to monitor the full quality of the recording. Nothing worse than thinking you have a good recording done in a location like a hotel room, only to apply some hard compression in post to make it punchier, revealing that the ice machine next door has suddenly become the star of the recording!

Solutions like VO Booths exist so that you never have to apologize for a problem you didn't know you had until it's too late to fix.

Just sayin'

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 11, 2012 at 10:07:39 pm

Hello Kat and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

First, you dampen something with a liquid. You damp to reduce vibration or movement.

Second, if you want your recording to sound as though you have a sound blanket over your head, sure, have at it.

Most of the time, though, you want a controlled and natural sounding space.

Knowing nothing about the room, I can't really tell you what to do. More details please.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:44:52 am

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Based on the two images included in the links, what might you recommend for recording my VO?

Do I need sound blankets on the walls or can I get by just with the Countryman?

http://imgur.com/uoL4m,d3Vbh
http://imgur.com/uoL4m,d3Vbh#1

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 12, 2012 at 7:28:52 am

HI Eric and Bill

As I said, Countryman isnt a name here in the UK so Id not have known about its properties.
Personally its a Neuman U87i for Vo recording for me. That way I have all the frequencise i can need to allow post matching.

Re the room and drapes. Make a test recording. Clap you hands sharply. If on the recording waveform you can see a trail off rather tan just the large peak of the clap, then draping a corner, and sitting about 5 feet away but talking into the corner, and another drape a couple of feet behind will help a loy i think.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jul 12, 2012 at 1:52:37 pm

Based on the pictures you posted of a bedroom with a lot of hard reflective surfaces I would at least try to hang some blankets around the area you'll be working in. The E6 will help a lot due to it's close placement to your mouth. Do a test w/o blankets and work up from there as required.

Eric

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jul 15, 2012 at 1:26:27 pm

TBH, looking at those walls makes me think of two things: (1) Reflexion filter behind the mic and a blanket hung behind you, (2) Coles 4104.

BTW, is anyone still using lip mics? I've been using voice booths for ages so I haven't touched one for quite a long time but I have very fond memories...

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jul 15, 2012 at 2:58:55 pm

Andrew, et al,

The lip mic is a drastic solution to a drastic acoustical situation.

The reflexion thing does little for me. Take a close look at what it does.

Reduce reflection from a any rear reflective surface to the deaf side of a directional microphone.

Any absorptive mass will do that, including a simple blanket.

Kat, where are you on this now?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]