FORUMS: list search recent posts

Distributing 5.1 Audio files

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Crossley
Distributing 5.1 Audio files
on Jun 27, 2012 at 9:17:05 pm

Hi,
I'm having a bit of an issue. I have several 5.1 mixes that I need to send to others to hear. Ideally it would be on CD or DVD that they can just slot into their 5.1 equipped DVD player.
I got my files as 48Khz 24 bit then I created some 'dummy' movies the same length as the audio. I used Compressor to make AC3 and MPEG-2 .m2v files and tried using DVDSP. It seems OK but the DVD it produced wont play on my player (which incidentally pretty much plays everything else you can throw at it!)

Is anyone aware of a better / easier way. Could I make a DTS CD that would play on a DVD player?

Has anyone been through this and had more success?

btw - I'm cool with all things audio but treat me as a newbie as far as video is concerned.

Thanks
JC

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Distributing 5.1 Audio files
on Jun 28, 2012 at 6:55:23 pm

Hi John,

Your first instinct seems to be the best to me as well. If anyone besides an audio pro has a 5.1 audio setup, it's bound to be attached to a DVD player. Any other medium is a lot less likely and some players may not play nice with stuff like DTS CDs.

Why the DVDs don't work is what you should concentrate on then, IMO. Right up to getting into DVDSP, your workflow seems spot on. You should have all the files you need in the correct formats. If you were burning from inside DVDSP, you could try using the Build function instead and burn to disk using Toast, for example. I've been doing this for all DVDs for years after getting a few weird burns from DVDSP's internal function. It'll give you VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders you can burn using Toast's "DVD-Video from VIDEO_TS" option under its Video tab, or similar function in whatever other burning software you may be using. The disks should not be burnt as Data DVDs with the VIDEO_TS folder on it; that won't work.

You can open the VIDEO_TS from the Apple DVD Player app included in Mac OS before burning to check all is well with the build. If the folder tests fine and your disks don't read, you'll have troubleshot the problem a bit further as well.

If the problem lies in the DVDSP build, it could be that you have not set First Play on anything, though DVDSP will flag that in bright red while building. Still, I've seen it before.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

John Crossley
on Jun 30, 2012 at 7:13:09 am

Thanks (hey another JC,!)
I'll give that a try and let you know how I get on.
Cheers

Return to posts index

John Crossley
on Jul 9, 2012 at 7:52:17 pm

Hi,
I've been trying to do the build only, It creates a folder called 'HVDVD_TS' and this has 9 files inside with names like: HV000I01.BUP, HV000I01.IFO, there is a larger file that could contain eth audio (ie its 99.7MB) called 'HV001T01.EVO.

No sign of VIDEO_TS or AUDIO_TS
Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]