FORUMS: list search recent posts

Syncing 96khz with 23.98 video

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Olinger
Syncing 96khz with 23.98 video
on Jun 12, 2012 at 7:40:24 am

Hello,

I`m the assistant editor on indie feature shoot and I have just gotten word from our sound mixer that he wants to record the dialogue at 96khz/16 bit.

We are going to be recording the video at 23.98, and I was going to sync up the video and audio in a 96khz FInal Cut timeline, with the Easy Setup settings also at 96khz.

Will there be any drift issues syncing the 96khz audio with 23.98 video? Or do I need to convert audio to 48khz? I`ve only worked with 48/24 dual system, as it is the usual standard.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Syncing 96khz with 23.98 video
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:39:11 pm

Hi Alex,

There should not be any particular issues with what you want to do. Audio sample rates and video frame rates really have no relation at all with one another. The sync issues people run into are usually due to manipulation mistakes and settings mismatches. You look pretty set.

The one thing you should check before importing any audio into FCP is that the video framerate in the selected easy setup is the one you'll be editing at. No matter what your sequence settings may be, FCP checks the framerate of the easy setup and will pull-down if it doesn't match the sequence. That one gets a lot of people into trouble. You may need to go check your audio output device settings in the Audio Midi Setup in Utilities if you get playback problems. Aside from that, all should work fine.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jun 12, 2012 at 1:57:08 pm

There is no reason to record audio at 16/96 in fact it doesn't make sense. Tell him you want the tracks at 24/48 and be done with it.

Eric

Return to posts index

Angelo Lorenzo
on Jun 12, 2012 at 5:53:38 pm

I agree with Eric. 96kHz is ultra-high frequency fidelity... but over kill for dialog. What would be more important is the bit depth, as 24bits will allow finer manipulation in amplitude if you have to reduce noise or adjust eq/compression and so forth.

Angelo Lorenzo
Fallen Empire - Digital Production Services

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]