FORUMS: list search recent posts

T-power damage

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
T-power damage
on Jun 5, 2012 at 5:07:39 am

Will T-power from a SD 302 mixer damage a condenser or dynamic mike? I'm asking because we use the 302 and have both these mike types at school. Kids play with the settings on all equipment. I know it causes distortion but anything worse on this source and mike type? I don't have any ribbon mikes but some of our condensers are expensive.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brian Reynolds
Re: T-power damage
on Jun 5, 2012 at 8:12:59 am

How many T powered mics do you have?
I believe that T powering will damage mics.
The OB company I do some work for has 2x Senni 816T mics in blimps that have 48v phantom - 12vT converters permanently mounted on the handles, so with this done the option of T powering never comes up in mic selection or discussion.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 5, 2012 at 3:31:32 pm

I don't have any T powered mikes. My question is about damage to condensers and dynamics if T power is turned on using the Sound Devices 302. It's a simple switch on the 302 and kids love to play with switches.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 6, 2012 at 3:02:21 am

The short answer is it's not a good idea to feed T-power to a microphone not designed to use it.

As to "instant destruction" the risk would be greatest on ribbon microphones - and some forms of condensers - dynamics wouldn't be immediately effected, but you'd risk possibly magnetizing the internal components of a dynamic if you left if hooked up for long periods which can cause sound degradation in the mics.

I have to say that I'm kinda surprised that you're using a $1200 sound mixer in a classroom full of kids. The Shure FP-42 or maybe the small Rolls would have done an excellent job at about a third the price but whatever.

You might want to see if you can find a local tech who can open the unit and see if there's a way to unmount the switch and safely tuck it away inside the case where the little fingers can't mess with it.

But with a "close tolerance" and expensive unit like this, I'd avoid any "do it yourself" modifications.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 6, 2012 at 4:18:41 am

I use the mix pre-d for all the beginner classes - when we are shooting in 3-5 teams. I find, by the way, that cheaper gear makes out far worse than pro gear. But in my advanced class, i bring out the bigger guns. We use prosumer level cams, 302 mixer, Sennheiser G3s, panasonic mixer, mole lights, etc. If experimentation just yields bad audio then lesson learned but if it damages our mikes than I have to keep a close eye on it. Frankly its a very tiny switch that anyone could accidentally employ. The sound devices units have been great. Much better control and results than the FP33 which I used when I was first teaching. Same price.

As you can see (#3) if you are not real careful you can accidentally engage T-power rather than dynamic.
I train the students to use headphones so if you are choosing dynamic the T position yields horrible distortion. For each shoot i usually assign audio engineer to one student so I'll just add this warning to my list of things to consider.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]