FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disconnecting a Condenser Mic

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pedro Ramirez
Disconnecting a Condenser Mic
on May 31, 2012 at 2:58:51 am

Hi there!

I recently bought a used AT4040 for recording my voice, but in the lack of preamps I got a XLR-USB adaptor (includes preamp) that seems to lack any options to turn it off without disconnecting it.

I´m scared that my mic will damage if I don´t find another way to turn off my adaptor, because I've heard of the possible effects of disconnecting a mic with phantom power turned on.

The adaptor functions well and gets its power from my computer through USB, so my theory is that one should be able to disconnect the mic from somewhere in Windows itself.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Disconnecting a Condenser Mic
on May 31, 2012 at 5:12:29 am

Pedro,

Can you please tell us exactly what manufacturer & model of USB preamp you have?

I've never heard of phantom power damaging a condenser microphone - a ribbon mic, yes, and maybe some cheaper/ill-designed wireless mic receiver outputs, but never a condenser mic.

The biggest issue I normally face is making sure the channel is muted so that the loud "pop" doesn't blow a HF driver (though I've yet to have that happen, either). I guess it's more of a precaution. Better safe than sorry.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
Re: Disconnecting a Condenser Mic
on May 31, 2012 at 9:48:40 pm

with usb devices in windows, you can right click safely remove hardware in the taskbar.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]