FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sound recording on 'Friday NIght Lights' TV series technical question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
greg ouellette
Sound recording on 'Friday NIght Lights' TV series technical question
on May 24, 2012 at 7:43:52 am

And this may not be appropriate, too general for a forum of serious audio professionals. Please do not talk offense as I want to have an idea what I am talking about before approaching sound professionals on this project.
Looking to shoot something in the style of 'Friday Night Lights'. Several cameras rolling at the same time (3 most likely) with no blocking, rehearsals or major limitations on actors movement. FNL did it this way. I have worked on a no-budget film that did this and they used lavs. Each actor was micd and we also recorded external mics on cameras on another channel for synch.
Does anyone have an idea of how they did this on something like FNL? I have yet to see a boom mic shadow, though they could be cutting it out with another cam angle if it appears.
I have always considered the lighting the greatest limitation with this kind of shooting, but the more I think about the audio. Sheesh. Google search turns up nothing generic or specific. Y'all keepin' saykrets out thayre? (Coach Taylor faux Texas accent).
Thank you in advance,
G
Sorry long winded.

Return to posts index

David C Jones
Re: Sound recording on 'Friday NIght Lights' TV series technical question
on May 24, 2012 at 4:35:30 pm

Chances are that, in fact, they are running wireless lavs from the actors to a hard disk recorder like the Sound Devices 744T or 788T or a Zaxcom. Each mic is recorded on a separate channel as well as mixed on one channel; that gives post the most options.

I do know that FNL is, or was shot on Super-16mm film which means that no audio is actually being run to the camera.

Hope this helps :)

Dave J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]