FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lavalier Mic?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Larry Zapotocky
Lavalier Mic?
on May 10, 2012 at 7:07:46 pm

We're looking to upgrade our 16 year old Sony ECM-66B lavalier mics that we use on our news set. They stood the test of time, but it's time for new ones.

Any suggestions? At most, we have three anchors on the set at one time. Usually there is just two.

thanks,
Larry

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: Lavalier Mic?
on May 10, 2012 at 8:10:34 pm

Budget?
Low budget: http://oscarsoundtech.com/ (but good reputation, I have 4 on order)
Medium budget: http://www.rodemic.com/mics/lavalier (VERY nice interchangable parts)
High budget: the usual suspects.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 11, 2012 at 1:11:50 am

Why not just get new ECM 66b's if you they've done the job for 16 years?

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 14, 2012 at 12:44:20 pm

Hello Larry and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The ECM 66B is a directional lav. Do you suppose that was a purposeful choice 16 years ago, or was it a choice based on noise in the studio, a small room or a very reflective environment?

If any or all of the above do apply, if you decide to get something new, be aware that most lavs are omnidirectional and that will change the sound.

Here's something else to think about. Omnis are supposed to be omni directional, but they are usually somewhat directional at high frequencies. In most of the news/interview shows I see, the mics are end address like your 66b or omni 77b and not side address like a Tram, Countryman EMW or Sanken COS11.

The 77b is more sensitive; -37 dB versus -52 dB, so if you have preamp noise you'd like to reduce, the 77b should help, but, again, it's an omni. The Audio Technica AT831R is directional and is more sensitive than the 66b. I have one and know it is wind sensitive too.

With the end address, you may get just a bit more edge on the voice. A side address lav doesn't give you that. The difference may not be much, but it may be helpful.

DIrectional lavs are usually prone to popping. Do you have any popping problems? Do you use a foam pop filter?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Larry Zapotocky
on May 14, 2012 at 7:05:19 pm

Yes, our studio is small and it was a purposeful choice back then. We occasionally have issues with popping with one of our anchors and the foam filter does help.

It sounds like it might be best to stay with a directional lav. I was just wondering if there was a better choice than the ECM 66B for our purposes.

thanks,
Larry

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on May 14, 2012 at 7:22:47 pm

If popping is an issue try mounting the mic with the capsule facing down. Other options to eliminate P pops is to place the off center on a lapel if you're mounting it on a tie. For other choices look at the Sennheiser line of lavs their MKE 2 or 4 I believe is a cardioid lav.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]