FORUMS: list search recent posts

Source connect

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Groom
Source connect
on May 9, 2012 at 8:18:27 am

Hi
I was just wondering who or how many users on this forum have experience and use commercially, source connect?
Cheers
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
Re: Source connect
on May 9, 2012 at 5:11:26 pm

We use it quite a bit and the experience is mostly positive. There are a few niggles here and there but in practice it's pretty seamless. Penetration is becoming better as more people go for it.

Most people seem to go for the standard version instead of Pro and there isn't that much point in being the only side of the connection with Pro as the bitrate will have to match on both ends, most people don't activate the QManager (which enables Auto-Replace and Auto-Restore), nobody I've seen uses the apt-X codec inside SC and we rarely if ever connect to more than one client or use VPN. I'd really check with studios you'd be connecting to what version they run as the price difference is quite significant.

It is more stable in standalone mode than as an RTAS plugin. I haven't used it or set it up on non-PT systems so can't speak to the stability of the VST/AU versions. Most people seem to run standalone but we prefer the plugin. Once in a while it loses contact with the RTAS engine but a quick transport start/stop solves that.

Sound quality at good bitrates is very good and we rarely replace with the uncompressed versions. Some basic knowledge of networks helps for set up. You'll have to do port-forwarding through your router, for example. QManager features require that you have an FTP set up as well. Certification is included with the Pro version, but I'm not convinced it would be worth the fee if you get Standard. It doesn't seem to be a big factor in getting more gigs. SC plays nice with ISDN bridging services so you should theoretically be able to connect to pretty much anyone through it. I'm keeping the ISDN lines, though. The Remote Transport Sync feature is a bit niggly and requires some coordination between both ends before the session starts but once you get it to work properly it's pretty nice. Bandwidth demands are not too scary and we often run two SC sessions on the same connection without issues.

All in all, it works very well but you should really examine your needs before choosing which version to go for. The standard version pays for itself within a few sessions, especially if it saves you from using a bridging service.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 9, 2012 at 11:45:20 pm

Peter,

I've demoed it here from within Pro Tools a few years ago and it worked pretty well. I didn't subscribe because I don't do enough long distance work. Now servers are easy, fast and cheap. I do the session over the POTS line and load the files to my (or their ) server.

The last time I looked at this, the last election, most shops were still using ISDN hardware and weren't interested in spending any more money on new technology. Maybe the world has shifted.

I think realtime sessions are usually appreciated when there's someone at each end to tend the technology.

Regards,

Ty

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 10, 2012 at 8:43:50 am

Good poinmts guys.
Ive been demoing here too, and with a few UK studios (where it seems to be the IP solution of choice) but ive found that out buildings speed is just too poor and shared too many ways, so i need a better servicce provider in the sound studio before i can go for it properly.

Ive preferred it in stand alone mode rather than within pt (tried both)
I just prefer having the bussing and audio on my desk in a more traditional fashion (call me aged!)

JC One thing you mentioned, that id like you to elaborate on if you will. ISDN bridging etc.
How does that work and are you saying that with sc, i could potentially link to isdn only voices / studios like now. Who provides the isdn bridging service? Its it an added cost layer etc.
Im interested in this as my isdn codec has become a little tempremental in the last few months and im worried that itll die. Then im in a dilemma as to wether to replace with another as the uk hasnt moved to sc big time yet, but if i got sc and bridged then its the best of both worlds.
I need to understand more about this detail??

Thanks for your comments so far guys.

Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 10, 2012 at 12:10:08 pm

Peter,

I don't know what's available over there, but Dave Immer has been operating DIGIFON very nicely in the US for some time. I think he has a room in which he has one of every codec. If you can't connect with someone, he'll call you with a codec that works with your setup and then call the other destination with what works for them. I think he makes a simple analog connection between the two, but I'm not positive.
http://www.digifon.com/

Also EDnet: http://www.ednet.net/network/edlink.html

There's also a card that used to work with PC laptops. AUdio TX.
Some folks here in the states have used them pretty successfully.
http://www.audiotx.com/sound_isdn_hw.html

APT is still in business and they make a box, APT Worldcast Equinox, that talks to almost any ISDN codec.
http://www.aptcodecs.com/radio-products-33-102-4.html
For something under $4000.00 USD

APT was the ISDN codec of choice for high quality audio, but the US radio industry went with the cheaper mp3-based codec years ago. The Worldcast Equinox combines APT with MP3, your choice. I haven't used it yet, but it's out there.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on May 10, 2012 at 2:12:09 pm

The bridging services are mainly the two big ones Ty mentioned, Digifon and EDNet. I'm not familiar with their service offer in Europe but they have connected me to studios in France. It is an additional cost layer, and quite a substancial one on long sessions. In my situation, the calculation was clear that it was not financially wise to ditch the ISDN system and link up to ISDN-only shops via bridging, but we run quite a few remote sessions. It might be worth it if you only run a few sessions and stack up recurrent savings by not maintaining the ISDN lines. We mostly use the bridging services to connect our ancient beige AptX box to shops running Telos or some newer codec. We're lucky in that our clients are ad agencies with comfy budgets who don't mind picking up the extra tab if everything works smoothly.

In the group of studios we regularly hook up to, the critical mass to abandon ISDN really isn't there yet and I don't foresee that changing super fast. I'd be in a right pickle if I had to choose wether or not to buy a new codec now.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 10, 2012 at 3:59:37 pm

I do about 6-8 ISDN sessions per day. The added cost of bridging services would be prohibitive. Ill just run the 2 SC and ISDN until i can drop isdn because it ceases to be needed.
Thanks for the clarification. Seems sc have info on bridging on their site too, including those you mentioned and others.
Cheers
Peter

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on May 10, 2012 at 4:06:22 pm

Peter,

6-8 sessions per day! Wow. Can you elaborate on what they are about?

There was a studio here in Baltimore that had six B channels (3 codecs) of APT back in the day. They could lash them together and get even lower compression. Sadly, they are no more.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 14, 2012 at 9:58:04 am

Yes were a combined TV post and Tv production company, so work is spread across Tv commercials, radio , tv commissions and film work.
Some days more than that, some days less, but 6-8 sessions involving ISDN links would not be un typical. Many only last 5 mins or so.
Peter

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 15, 2012 at 1:07:01 am

This made me smile.

I used to go to studios for ISDN sessions as a voice talent. And considered for years putting ISDN into my home studio - but never felt I could make on-going telco investment pay.

So I've just been doing all my VO work via phone and "delayed file delivery" for the past decade. Typically get a script - cut and send the VO - and get changes later for re-cut and re-send. Not the same as a "live session" at all.

Then a week ago, I got a call from a producer I do a lot of work with - and he had emergency changes required for his out of town conference stage intros and Voice of God stuff - and was clearly worried about directing it.

I saw he'd sent me the scrip via his iPhone... so I suggested we try a FaceTime VO session.

I stuck my iPhone on a stand and Mafer clamp - and called him - and he directed through his iPhone and then I sent him the files.

Worked great and I could see his every expression and reaction as if he'd been here.

Not sure what this means the the greater scheme of things. And I wouldn't do this with a killer deadline and certainly not with an inexperienced talent who wouldn't know to "self-stop" and correct apotentially popped P or slur - but it sure worked for us.

FWIW.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 15, 2012 at 1:39:00 am

We do ADR from Stamford to the West coast and all the studios only want ISDN, primarily because of reliability. With A-talent on a stage IP glitches aren't tolerated. It's ironic that ISDN with it's low data rate is more reliable than our 30mbps internet connection. Of course, ISDN is dedicated bandwidth. On over 10 years of ISDN sessions I remember only one momentary glitch during a session.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on May 15, 2012 at 8:48:03 am

Yes I do prefer iSDN, but am sure it will go IP eventually.

John, when youre doing adr etc via isdn, do you run picture controlled via ISDN both ends too?
Peter

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on May 15, 2012 at 4:22:29 pm

Yes, picture is synced via ISDN. Typically, they chase our timecode.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]