FORUMS: list search recent posts

Make loud parts of a clip the same volume as the quiet parts and vice/versa

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
eric vinyard
Make loud parts of a clip the same volume as the quiet parts and vice/versa
on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:02:16 am

All my years of working with audio and I've never found a way to do this, though I'm sure there must be.

I'm working with a clip of three people talking. Person number three is considerably louder than persons one and two. How do I make them all the same volume as each other without going into Audition and altering the volume of each section by hand?

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
Re: Make loud parts of a clip the same volume as the quiet parts and vice/versa
on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:24:42 am

If you use compression, you'll only be changing the relationship between the "average" level and the peak level of the audio. If you use AGC (automatic gain control), you might have better luck; setting the correct threshold and attack/release times is the tricky part.

To make things quieter once a certain level is reached, you want to use an expander.

I think you should use an interface with motorized digital encoders ("flying faders") to enable you to mix more easily and smoothly. The PreSonus Faderport is pretty cool and not very pricey…maybe look into that if you don't have a work surface yet.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Apr 30, 2012 at 7:57:00 am

How come you have a recording with this issue. Did you not make it.
There is a piece of software that deals with this problem .i have it at home and cant recall its name but ill try to look when i get back.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:43:16 pm

In post, Levelator is a good way to handle multiple voices, if you don't have the time to mix the tracks individually.

Bob C

Return to posts index

nick ring
on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:12:41 pm

Seconding Levelator. You have no control over it, so it either works for you or it doesn't, but if your source files are fairly clean, without extraneous sounds, noise, etc., it can be incredibly helpful. May be worth a shot.

-nick

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 30, 2012 at 10:25:43 pm

[nick ring] "Seconding Levelator."

And it's free.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 30, 2012 at 11:06:18 pm

Thirded.

(Is that even a word?)

Levelator is "normalizing" on steroids. Death on dynamic range in music, but for spoken content with a decent noise floor - it's a quick, easy godsend.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]