FORUMS: list search recent posts

Clean audio is missing from recent video shoot!

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
Clean audio is missing from recent video shoot!
on Apr 29, 2012 at 1:47:19 pm

am trying to figure out an issue with my audio. I shot an event the other night and I had the mixed audio from the board coming to the camera on Channel 1. I was wearing good headphones and could clearly hear the audio was good and mixed. Because I have been screwed in the past with the audio ops not giving me ambient sound of cheering and applause after the performers leave the stage, I left my shotgun potted up on channel 2 during the entire show. Now that I have my footage all ingested in FCP 7, it appears I am only hearing my shotgun mic and not the clean audio. I tried muting each track to see if I can hear which is the better track of audio and they both sound equal. I even took channel 1 and made it Mono and panned it to the center point so I can hear it in both ears and it still sounds like the shotgun mic. I DEFINITELY was getting good clean audio fed to me I am just not hearing it.

Any thoughts?

I didn't use pluraleyes but this is similar where I was trying to delete the reference audio (shotgun) and keep the clean (mixed audio) but everything sounds like the reference audio. At one point the audio almost sounds out of sync. This is confusing me why I am not hearing the clean audio and all I hear is my shot gun ambient room noise. Yes, I was definitely getting the clean audio on Channel 1 and getting good levels as well.

My camera was only recording 2 channels of audio...Line level from the board on Ch1 and Ambient Room noise from the shotgun mic on Ch2. In FCP, if I mute or deleted or potted down Ch2 audio, Ch1 will sound just like Ch2 for some strange reason and I can't figure this one out! I even muted Ch2 and to only play Ch1 audio and then panned it to the center position to hear it out of both ears but again it sounds like the shotgun mic and not the mixed audio.

Thanks!

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Kownacki
Re: Clean audio is missing from recent video shoot!
on Apr 29, 2012 at 3:13:02 pm

Can you give more details on cam model and ingest procedure

Can you play back from the original camera? Is there clean audio?

Steve

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on May 1, 2012 at 6:09:11 pm

Okay I don't know what happened but I was able to find the good audio. Although I had audio from the board coming in Line level into Ch1 into the camera and ambient room sound coming in from the shotgun on Ch2, once I ingested my footage into FCP, it switched everything around. On the timeline Ch1 and Ch2 was my shot gun and my Good audio was on Ch4! The only way I found that out was I dragged a clip straight to the timeline and saw my audio tracks fill up with the waveforms! I was able to just look at that and see which one was my good audio!

Another issue I ran into was I had set my camera to shoot 1080/30p but it recorded 1080/60i instead. So I took all my 57 clips and ran them through MPEG Streamclip and converted them to 1080/30p but when I dragged the converted clips to the timeline, I am guessing MPEG Streamclip somehow mixed all 4 channels into 2 channels which resulted in my not being able to figure out where the clean audio was!

My fix: I laid the video of the converted 1080/30 clip down on the time but used the audio from the 1080/60i clip that had the good audio from the get go. It synced right up and now I am good to go.

This is a big job for one of my biggest clients so I am glad I was able to locate that good audio because this was about to be a major nightmare!!!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 2, 2012 at 12:25:46 am

Why not use compressor?

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on May 2, 2012 at 2:45:35 am

I always found it faster to use MPEG Streamclip to convert clips. I do use Compressor for content I send to the web.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Apr 29, 2012 at 5:03:16 pm

How were you monitoring the live event? Were you using the headphone output on your camera? When you were recording did you notice two different levels on your cam's audio meters? I've experienced two different circumstances for this type of problem. The first is you are hearing the clean feed but not recording it. The other is the camera is not playing it back out. If it is a playback issue you can try internal playback setting on your cam. Try L/L or R/R or Stereo and see if any playback the clean audio. You might want to also check the settings for record. Most cams can be set to plug into say channel one but record to both. If that were the case and channel one was the shotgun you may not have recorded the clean audio. Good practice to playback some sound check before a critical event. Another possible fix is to ask the audio tech's who operated the board if they recorded the mix. If so, use it.

MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Panasonic AG-HPX170, Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]