FORUMS: list search recent posts

Seeking Earbuds for Jungle Shoot

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Evelyn
Seeking Earbuds for Jungle Shoot
on Apr 12, 2012 at 1:38:52 pm

Hey, everyone

What I need is an experienced sound man, but I'm told that's off the table.

So, I am looking for recommendations of a sound-isolating earbud that plugs my ears fully so I can hear the two wireless mics feeding my camera on a "back in the woods" shoot this summer.

I can't wear my Sony 7506 headphones and work efficiently, so I need something smaller to keep in my pocket.

Thank, as always, -- Bill

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Seeking Earbuds for Jungle Shoot
on Apr 12, 2012 at 3:46:33 pm

Take a look at Westone. I have the Westone 3's (with Comply deep foam inserts) and love them - I wear them on the NYC Subway and they block out a bunch of outside noise. You may have to step up to their custom fit line to get a really good seal. Extremely high quality.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 28, 2012 at 6:10:33 pm

I had a similar question, for a different purpose. I occasionally work as the true one-man-band, shooting and interviewing. I'd prefer not to wear my studio headphones, for the sake of putting the interviewee at ease.

The Westones look great, but are way more than I want to spend. Does anyone have a recommendation for high-quality earbuds which are a bit less expensive?

They don't have to be extremely high-quality; I would use my 7506 to dial in the sound quality during set-up. This is simply to make sure that the audio is still being recorded.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Bill Evelyn
on Apr 30, 2012 at 12:35:40 pm

Hey, Bob

I have worked "solo" on many shoots for a long time and can relate to your need at keeping your subject at ease, especially when having to wear headphones. But, I've also used cheap earplugs for audio monitoring in these kinds of situations and they are like playing Russian roulette: you just can't hear enough of what's being recorded. I'd suggest you keep your subject at ease with your charming personality, engaging them so they forget you have big ears on. If you don't have someone asking your questions to your subject, or you don't have a sound man, you really should wear the headphones if it's a sit-down interview.

I agree that the recommended earbuds posted here earlier made me pucker when I saw the price, but that's my reaction with every expensive piece of gear I've purchased. We're in a pucker'n' business! : )

Best of luck to you!

Bill

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:42:05 pm

I totally take your point about the need to monitor with high acuity - if the audio is bad you have no interview at all.

Often, the best interviews happen when you engage the subject in a genuine conversation which allows him to get past the artificiality of the situation. But when one person is wearing headphones, that is more difficult.

I guess one compromise is to get the necessary material once with headphones, and then go over the same ground again in a more conversational mode, without them.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Apr 30, 2012 at 1:53:12 pm

One additional note, given the context. The Westone in-ear monitors I recommended have an added benefit in that when worn they're hard to detect. Westone comes from hearing aid devices and their in ear monitors fit so well most people I meet on the street or on the train don't realize I'm wearing them. I usually have to make a pronounced move to take my earphones out so they understand I couldn't hear them asking for directions the first time. The earpieces fit flush in the outer ear and the cable loops over the ear and drapes over the back of the ear. You can then route the main cable under the chin or around the back of the head.

For example,

shows the fit.

Return to posts index

Shane Vansen
on May 28, 2012 at 11:04:14 pm

I like the shure se535 great for monitoring very neutral but seriously uncomfortable so I recently scrapped and like for earbuds anyway the klipsch x10, very comfy great sound, expensive but warrantied for 2 years.

If you decide larger cans are the way to go, I'd go Sony 7509HD over the industry standard 7506, the 7506 are dodgy for all ears, with extended use you'll forever have itchy ears, I had for years, so does everyone I know that uses the 7506, they're a bad design, great sound sure but they create a sauna in ears, the 7509 which so far failed to launch are amazing, much more comfortable and your ears can breathe.

Return to posts index

Kirill Belousov
on May 14, 2012 at 2:00:30 am

Perhaps you should check this guys out HERE. Hope that helped.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]