FORUMS: list search recent posts

condenser and lav mic with Zoom H4N

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anya Vaverko
condenser and lav mic with Zoom H4N
on Apr 12, 2012 at 11:30:38 am

Is it possible to plug in both a lav mic and a condenser mic into the Zoom H4N and get it to record different tracks, which can be adjusted later individually in FCP?

For example, can I put the lavalier mic on my main 'subject' during a public event to get his voice clearly, plus plug in my Rode NTG-2 into the 2nd XLR output....and get 2 different audio files?

Or will all that both those mics pick up go into one track, where I cannot raise the volume of the speaker's voice recorded on thr lav mic and maybe lower the wild sound recorded on the condener mic?

Is there a way to monitor and control levels of each mic while recording?

Or do we need to buy a second Zoom H4N? We are working with 2 Canons (7D and 5D Mark II) and 2 mics total. How can we make sure we get good audio? This would all be much easier if the cameras had XLR inputs...

What would you all suggest?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Nick Richter
Re: condenser and lav mic with Zoom H4N
on Apr 17, 2012 at 5:40:20 am

I've actually run into this issue following production and have been looking for a post production solution.

However, in my research, I came across a firmware update released by the Zoom company that is a solution to your problem. It allows you to monitor and manipulate levels separately in production, as well as, split them in post production. Below I've listed a link to the website which carries the firmware update, as well as, a guide to properly install it to the zoom: http://www.zoom.co.jp/downloads/h4n/software/?lang=en

I don't know how old your zoom is because this update was released in November of 2010. So it stands to reason, if you have a relatively new model it should be equipped with the update. Otherwise the firmware should do the trick!

If anyone has an advice on how to solve this same issue in post production, your help would be much appreciated!!

Good Luck!

Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]