FORUMS: list search recent posts

What should I use to record audio for a sweet 16?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Vallin
What should I use to record audio for a sweet 16?
on Apr 7, 2012 at 8:47:11 pm

So I've been booked for filming a sweet 16 in august by a friend.I usually work on music videos so I don't tend to use audio much but when I do I use a zoom h4n.Im thinking about using it how ever I have a feeling that my audio guy will eventually at points forget or not press the record button the whole way in,and it would also be a pain in the ass having all sorts of audio files and forgetting which audio clip goes to what video clip.So I am considering using my buddies rode video mic onto my 60D.However with all of the Canon EOS the external audio sounds extremely noisy because of AGC SO I would have to use an mp3 playing a track of a 19khz(done it before,sounds decent) sounds to keep the unwanted noise down.

With all that being said do any of you have an suggestions for recording my audio?
What I have to work with.Rode Video mic.Zoom h4n.Canon T3i.

I was maybe thinking that I should buying a clap board and saying the number of the scene to be able to have anything organized and using a pair of noise canceling headphones such as some Beats (by dre) that I have.But any of your guys imput would mean a lot!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
Re: What should I use to record audio for a sweet 16?
on Apr 7, 2012 at 10:52:15 pm

So what kinds of sounds do you anticipate? ("Sweet 16" doesn't really tell us much). Live band? MC? Comments from guests? (organized or random?) Will there be a reinforcement system? Can you dedicate a device to record the end-to-end feed from the PA system?

Using a clap-board/slate doesn't really seem practical. How do anticipate editing this? Won't much (most?) of the sound be "wild" anyway, so you don't really care about sync?

Using noise-cancelling earphones or earbuds is a TERRIBLE idea. You are CREATING content, not CONSUMING it. You WANT to hear whatever noise you are recording. Using noise-cancelling monitoring gives you a false sense of what you are really recording. I would NEVER use noise-cancelling gadgets while recording.

Return to posts index

Alex Vallin
on Apr 8, 2012 at 6:28:35 pm

hmmm the noise canceling thing was just a thought.Well mainly there is going to be live music and I will be walking around giving the close family and friends and be asking on their thoughts of the party and such...I also will be recording inside a church(a lot of echoing)
I am quite lost on what I am going to use to record my audio!
I rarely use audio but thats why I want to practice on that before august.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 9, 2012 at 12:14:05 pm

Alex,

One of your big problems will be ambient noise/sound; music and nearby conversation. The chatter and music playing over the P A interfere with your ability to get good clean comments. That's why folks usually pass the mic, speaking directly into it. Even so, as you go from clip to clip, lack of continuity in the background music is disruptive.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Alex Vallin
on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:16:22 am

What exactly do you suggest I do? The person who is hiring me said he will pay for any necessary equipment.Hes buying me a shoulder rig,Some lights for the rig,32 GB SD Extreme Pro,and about 8 batteries.What do you suggest I get for audio? nothing to extreme I just want it to get the job done

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Apr 10, 2012 at 1:37:56 pm

Alex,

As long as each interviewee eats the mic and the music isn't blasting, I don't think the change in background music will be too distracting. Now, if you have a really quiet talker or choose to shoot the interview right in front of a speaker stack, etc., you've got problems…

One way to keep things consistent is to keep yourself stationary and have the people come to you. Also, adding a room mic or two and getting a feed from the audio mixer may help with transitions.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Apr 10, 2012 at 4:14:08 pm

Jordan and Alex,

Yes, for "best wishes" find a space that's out of the fray, well lit and quiet setup a backdrop and make something special out of what they have to say. That way, you can probably get by with the mic on the camera as long as you stay close.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]