FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extremely Short AA Battery Life for Tascam DR100

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Turner
Extremely Short AA Battery Life for Tascam DR100
on Mar 12, 2012 at 6:01:44 pm

Hi Guys!

I have been recording with my Tascam DR100. Now I don't love this recorder and my #1 reason is the battery life. It has both an internal (removable) Lithium Ion battery and takes 2 AA batteries. The problem is that even fully charged the Li Battery lasts for maybe 2 hours or so of recording time (which isn't horrible, but could be better).

This becomes a problem when I then switch to AA batteries. 2 brand new, AA batteries only last about 5 minutes of recording! I have been having this problem for months and have tried using other recorders and equipment, but I really want to get this thing working until I can afford to upgrade to a Sound Devices recorder. (Note: this happened with just 1 Sennheiser Lavalier mic receiver plugged in & another time with a Rode NTG2 plugged in)

Are other people having this problem with trying to run the Tascam DR100 off AA batteries? 5 minutes of recording time is pretty unacceptable. Am I missing something here? Maybe I have some setting on that sucks the battery life out quickly?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Extremely Short AA Battery Life for Tascam DR100
on Mar 12, 2012 at 8:35:09 pm

Somewhere in the manual that came with your unit is a battery life chart. Check that to see what Tascam estimates. OTOH 5 min on Alkaline AA's say there's something wrong unless there's a setting in the menu for alkaline batterys. I would contact Tascam tech support and explain it to them. They're pretty good at customer support.

Eric.

Return to posts index

Al Bergstein
on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:55:45 pm

How old is your unit? I have recently experienced similar battery drain on an older Zoom H4N which seems to be the end of the life for the unit, unless I can get to some service company that can fix it cheaper than 1/2 the price of new (which I doubt).

The fact that Lithium's are lasting 2 hours while double AAs are not is odd though. Maybe the Lithium's would last a lot longer if the unit worked "right".

Al

Return to posts index

David Turner
on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:06:58 pm

Hi Eric and Al,

Thanks for your responses. I called Tascam per your suggestion and they said I needed to manually go in and change the battery setting to AA batteries from Lithium Ion in the menu. They said I need to do this even if I eject the LI battery and only have AAs in. I will try this and report back soon if it helped.

Return to posts index

Robbie Derrick
on Feb 7, 2013 at 10:07:48 am

Hi guys,

I've had the same problem with my DR100 since I bought it.
I don't suppose you've looked into extra lithium batteries have you?
Tascam want £43 and the cheaper BP-L2 I bought doesn't fit. Just wondered if you'd had any luck with that?
Cheers

Return to posts index

Grégoire Iwaniec
on Apr 10, 2013 at 8:43:06 am

Hello there,

I have the same problem with my new Tascam DR100. Once the Li battery runs out, it is impossible to record with AA batteries and the +48V on for more than 20 minutes.

I looked into buying the extra battery pack, but I start doubting it is going to solve anything.

Greg

Return to posts index

Jon Kline
on May 15, 2013 at 9:23:10 pm

I have the same issue. It's the DR100mkII and on Lithium it's fine, but both alkaline (Duracell)and NiMh (Eneloop) batteries won't last longer than a few minutes, if phantom power is on.
This is a huge issue, it makes the recorder basically unusable for me if I'm working in the field for more than a few hours.

Return to posts index

Actrice Mila
on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:15:14 pm

It seems that it's all the same issues
for my DR-V1HD VIDEO/LINEAR PCM RECORDER then!?
Do they really make Lithium batteries in AA form?

Return to posts index

Clay Howard
on Aug 3, 2015 at 1:13:54 am

my suggestion would be to use the recorder as a "recorder" only and find a mixer to handle all of your front end ( phantom, better pre amp, actual pots/faders, usually constructed with better battery life) . I've run the Tascam DR 100 as a recorder being fed by a mixer for nearly half a day on productions. Pro Cell Duracell's seem to work the best. QUESTION: I just bought a brand new lithium ion rechargeable battery for the DR 100, does anyone have a solid guesstimation as to how long this battery will last, given its fully charged and used in the scenario depicted above.

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Aug 3, 2015 at 12:36:49 pm

Id think that any "domestic battery powered" unit running phantom power is going to struggle beyond a short time
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]