FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question about using a Countryman E6 mic without a mixer/pre-amp

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
Question about using a Countryman E6 mic without a mixer/pre-amp
on Mar 10, 2012 at 12:53:39 am

I want to use a Countryman E6 mic to record some spoken word directly into a screen recording program called ScreenFlow. I do not have access to a preamp/mixer, so the mic will need to be plugged in directly to my Mac. I know this is not the right way to do it, though under the circumstances I have no choice, will the audio be too low in volume? Will I be better off using the built in Mic on the Mac? Just curious before I go through the trouble to borrow the mics if it is going to be a problem recording any volume that will be audible without the mixer.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Question about using a Countryman E6 mic without a mixer/pre-amp
on Mar 10, 2012 at 3:33:29 am

You'll need the E6 to be wired with a matching plug to computer mic input. The computers mic input is going to be a 3.5 mm TRS (tip-ring-sleeve)3.0 volt connection but it will work with a TS (Tip-Sleeve plug)Remember if you fry the mic it's about $500 out of your pocket. Better you should use the built in mic on the computer and work out the best working distance considering level and room ambience.

Eric

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Mar 10, 2012 at 8:05:13 am

I have an XLR cable to go from the mic and into the mini mic port for the computer. Why would the mic get fried from being plugged directly into the computer?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Mar 10, 2012 at 1:09:31 pm

It won't get zapped I just wanted you to be aware of the possibilitys. Plug it in and see what the results are. As an FYI I tried an E6 & other lavs on my comp and they all worked just fine. Be sure to adjust the internal level setting for the mic input in the audio menu for max gain.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]