FORUMS: list search recent posts

using 2 mics makes two different audio tracks in premiere...good or bad?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
golnaz alibeigi
using 2 mics makes two different audio tracks in premiere...good or bad?
on Mar 10, 2012 at 12:11:05 am

So i am using two senhesier lavalier mics. I plug them in the 2 xlr outputs on my panasonic hvx200a. one headphone ear hears one mic while the other hears the 2nd mic. I record. then i export it to premiere. there are two tracks with waveforms. One waveform has the first speaker sounding loud while the other waveform has the other speaking loud. So i am just using both waveforms. I don't think that's okay to do. How do i make it so i have one waveform with both mics sounding the same and the other waveform having the mics sound a little louder. this splitting of which speaker is louder on different waveforms has forced me to use both tracks. and i don't think thats ok. let me know if i am wrong.

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: using 2 mics makes two different audio tracks in premiere...good or bad?
on Mar 10, 2012 at 8:05:37 pm

What you're doing is quite normal. Each mic "hears" one person, so each track has the sound of that person, two people = 2 microphones, one on each of your two tracks (your two waveforms). That gives you flexibility to use different amounts of gain and eq and different panning positions in the mix and to dip out the sound from one microphone when the other person is speaking (and there are a couple of different reasons why you might want to do that).

Having both microphones mixed on a track requires having a mixer on set/location. That makes it less flexible in post so it has to be done well at the time of recording, and that is a skillful job which requires a good location sound recordist.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]