FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this a good setup? mixpre-d tape out to the xlr inputs of a zoom h4n. + Timecode question.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
Is this a good setup? mixpre-d tape out to the xlr inputs of a zoom h4n. + Timecode question.
on Mar 9, 2012 at 8:50:14 am

About to upgrade my audio gear with a mixer and external recorder. Im not a sound engineer so I could really use some professional advice.

I have been looking at the sound devices mixpre-d in conjuction with zoom h4n. Then you could use two mics that connects to the sound devices mixpre-d xlr inputs. Then use the mixpre-d xlr outputs to connect to camera. Then using this cable (link below) from "tape out" to a zoom h4n.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ces_442_Y.html

Is this a good setup? Is the tape out high quality output?

The other options could be to instead go for the Sound Devices 702T Portable Digital Recorder with Time Code. I would really like to have the sound synched with the camera.
But I think I would still need to get a mixer to use with the 702T and then everything just gets to pricey at the moment. Also NAB is just around the corner and may bring better options.

At the moment I think mixpre-d is the most interesting option because of it size and price. I need something that I can use even on those jobs without a audio assistant and the 702t just looks a bit clunky.

I have not worked plural eyes yet but it looks so easy and nice to use on final cut and little less nice with premiere. But I rather use this than a clapper board. I have not used any audio gear that could be synced to the cameras timecode yet. Can you control more than start and stop with a timecode cable? I you playback a clip in camera, will sound devices 702t playback its audio to? If it does i sure jumps up on my list.

Thanks
Joel Arvidsson

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Is this a good setup? mixpre-d tape out to the xlr inputs of a zoom h4n. + Timecode question.
on Mar 9, 2012 at 5:43:15 pm

Hello Joel and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The link to B&H isn't working, but cabling from MixPre to something with the right cable works.

There is a big difference between H4N and Sound Devices 702 on every level.

About the timecode cable, I'm not sure any camera/recorder cable allows playback of audio from the camera. I don't know.

About Plural Eyes, It's very good but does require the very same audio. A camera mic for camera audio and booms and lavs to your audio recorder will work Plural Eyes pretty hard and my not sync.

I mention again here that, at some point, we need to begin thinking about alliances with people and not gear. The thought that you can up your game with just a few pieces of gear, and without another (expensive) person only goes so far. At some point you will run into problems because you can't pay attention to everything at the same time. So as you ponder this conundrum, please add the thought that you need to cultivate

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Is this a good setup? mixpre-d tape out to the xlr inputs of a zoom h4n. + Timecode question.
on Mar 14, 2012 at 7:18:47 am

well, you can have timecode on any recorder if you have an audio channel to spare.
Use that to record LTC (audio timecode).
Good cameras can provide that, so if you put that on a free channel of your sound recorder you are good to go.

If the cam does not have TC out, you can use Jumpstart on an Iphone (or any Mp3 player with an LTC signal, i can provide that), to be master clock to feed both cam and sound recorder.)
Don't be afraid of drift, that does not matter as both devices get the same signal!

Avid can read this signal, for other NLE's you need this:

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/26/fcp-auxtc-reader

(and there is a newer version coming, contact me if you want to toy with it)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]