FORUMS: list search recent posts

Double mics for an interview on the same channel causes static?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Morris
Double mics for an interview on the same channel causes static?
on Feb 29, 2012 at 12:50:16 am

I am constantly recording interviews with 2 people. In the past I had 2 sets of Sennheiser G2s going into 2 separate recording devices. Syncing everything up and editing it is a huge pain so I bought 2 sets of G3s on the same channel. My goal was to have 2 mics (one on each person) set to the same channel and then 1 receiver that goes straight into the camera. Apparently this doesn't work because we get tons of static when we turn on the second mic.

I've been searching for hours online about a simple way to record 2 people talking (with 2 mics) into a single channel and I have yet to find a simple answer. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Double mics for an interview on the same channel causes static?
on Feb 29, 2012 at 4:06:59 am

Hello Lee and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum,

You can use one transmitter and two receivers (or more), but not multiple transmitters on the same frequency. The two transmitters will battle it out and the receiver will lose.

You really don't want two interviewees on the same track. If one sneezes or is louder than the other, fixing that is tough to impossible. You absolutely should have each person on a different track.

I don't understand why you're having sync problems with a lave to each of two channels. What's going on there? Can't you just lock them together to keep them in sync? Please explain.

Thanks,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Feb 29, 2012 at 3:14:39 pm

You say youve been searching for hours for an easy way of getting 2 mics combined successfully onto the same track.
It really IS as easy a "audoio mixer" if as Ty correctly suggests against, you are intent on committing to a whole raft of problems that are un pickable.
Why would anyone ever want to limit their options. Keeping options open is the name of the game.
Your way is a little like putting sugar in tea, before youve asked if people want sugar. You cant take it out, only satrt again with a fresh cup. easy with tea, not so easy with shoots etc etc.

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Lee Morris
on Feb 29, 2012 at 7:37:15 pm

Is there an "audio mixer" that will fit on the top of my DSLR? The projects I'm shooting require that I travel very light and I cannot walk around with a standard mixer board as I know them.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 29, 2012 at 8:41:45 pm

Lee,

(with John Wayne accent) Well then, pardner, you sort of boxed yourself in. :)

First, does your DSLR record audio at a quality level high enough to be used for attribution?

On top of your camera? I don't think so.

On the bottom? I think the Sound Devices 302 will do that with some brackets. Your camera won't be so light any more.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]