FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quality headphones for editing ?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Eastman
Quality headphones for editing ?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 5:54:54 am

What /do /you /recommend /are /great, /quality /over-the-head /headphones /for /post /production /editing /and /listening /to /movie /via /my /Macbook that /are /under /$200?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Quality headphones for editing ?
on Feb 14, 2012 at 1:55:27 pm

If you can take your macbook to a place that sells headphones and has a listening station and see what sounds best to you. Be aware that your laptop may not have enough headphone power to do justice to some models so a headphone amp may be needed.

Eric

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:54:10 pm

Hello Brandon and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

My first grab are Sony MDR 7506. They aren't flat. They have a boost at the top and bottom, but they are great for editing. I wouldn't mix on them (or any headphone) and they are about the most efficient headphone on the market so no problems driving them to sufficient level with a lap top. The MDR7509 are more expensive, smoother and bigger.

The Audio Technica ATH M50 have a more balanced sound and I have used them as well, but I've really become accustomed to the Sony.

Get a pair of the channile ear cozies. The MDR7506 are comfortable, but if you'll be wearing them a long time, you'll like the extra cushion. I don't have the brand name in front of me. Maybe Eric does.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 14, 2012 at 2:59:22 pm

Garfield Headphone Softies is what Ty is referring to.

Eric

Return to posts index

David Eaks
on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:39:06 pm

I agree with the MDR-7506 recommendation. They are road worthy, and as Ty said, efficient. Also excellent for movies/music. They are the only headphones I've regularly used (professionally) for many years and I always have 2-3 pairs around.

Return to posts index

Brandon Eastman
on Feb 14, 2012 at 7:38:10 pm

I /was /recommended /Sennheiser /HD /380 /Pros. /Can /anyone /comment /on /this /recommendation ?

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 16, 2012 at 3:30:21 am

All the phones mentioned will do a good job. Sorry but trying to tell you what you'll like best is like telling you how you'll like your steak done. Bang for the buck wise for $100 you can't beat the Sony 7506.

Eric

Return to posts index

Kevin Burgess
on Feb 16, 2012 at 6:20:01 pm

The Sony MDR-7506's are good headphones, quite comfortable and will take a beating. They can have a harsh mid-range at times, which I don't like. I just got a pair of Shure SRH440's. They have a much smoother tone across the spectrum, which I like better, but they are heavier and not as comfortable. Both can be found for under $100.00.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]