FORUMS: list search recent posts

Noob Lavalier Level Question

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alex Wishart
Noob Lavalier Level Question
on Feb 13, 2012 at 3:55:52 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm having some troubles with my Lavalier audio. I get a hissing/static sound whenever my model says anything with an "s" sounding word: "performance, slip-on, products, rallies, experienced" etc (motorcycle product video, FYI). I'm not peaking by any means, either.

Here's my set up:

-Panasonic AG-HMC150
- Sennheiser ew100G2
- 3.5mm to XLR adapter
- -50dB Gain

I'm by no means the best with audio and only have basic knowledge of lavalier and shotgun mics. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thank you,
-Alex-

@AlexWishard
or
@AscensionVisual
OR
Ascenvisuals.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Noob Lavalier Level Question
on Feb 13, 2012 at 4:57:44 pm

Hello Alex and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Your model may be overly sibilant. It happens more in women than men and, if that is the problem, she should consult a speech therapist who will help her reposition her tongue when making sibilant sounds.

Try the mic on someone else and see if it makes a difference. Try another mic on her.

On your timeline, the offending sss sound waveforms won't be taller, but they will be a lot denser.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Alex Wishart
on Feb 13, 2012 at 5:20:23 pm

Hello Ty,

You might have hit the nail right on the head on this one. I've used this mic set up previously on a couple male models and it wasn't nearly as prominent. She's an actress as well, so part of it might be that she's over-enunciating her words (maybe?). Either way, thank you so much for your insight! I'll for sure keep this in mind for the next shoot I do.

-Alex-

@AlexWishard
or
@AscensionVisual
OR
Ascenvisuals.com

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 13, 2012 at 7:08:10 pm

Alex,

There is a de-esser built into many audio programs that can reduce the overly sibilant sounds.

Also, I had a gal in years ago who was a stage actor. When I first heard her voice here in my studio, WOW Waaay sibilant. I mentioned it and she said no one had mentioned it before. I told her it was probably because she did mostly stage work and 12 feet of air between the stage and front row of a theater can diffuse a lot of overly sibilant speech.

She found a speech therapist at a local college and in 4-6 sessions she cured it.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:40:10 pm

Try mounting the mic upside down to reduce some of the sibilence.

Eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]