FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sennheiser ME 2 OR Shure SM93 Lavalier Microphones

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Lewis
Sennheiser ME 2 OR Shure SM93 Lavalier Microphones
on Feb 9, 2012 at 5:49:25 am

Hello guys,

I'm currently interested in buying a lavalier microphone mainly to record screencasts (tutorials) and to maybe use with my camcorder. I've decided to buy either microphone in the title of this video but I can't seem to decide which one I want.

I kinda want to buy the Shure SM93 because it has an XLR connection so I can use it with my mixer and other equipment, but the Sennheiser also seems like a good option, it's 3.5 MM connector is pretty convenient since I can just plug it into my PC to record the screen cast or that not.

What do you guys recommend? Money is not an issue both are similarly priced on amazon

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Sennheiser ME 2 OR Shure SM93 Lavalier Microphones
on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:59:38 am

Unless your computer supplys 1.5-3 volts dc voltage to power the ME2 it's not going to work.

Eric

Return to posts index

Andrew Lewis
on Feb 9, 2012 at 8:12:33 am

doesn't the ME2 just have a "simple" 3.5mm male plug?
By simple I mean isn't it like any other device when you just plug the cable and that's it. I didn't read in the Amazon description anything about it requiring power. I'll have to research that.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Feb 13, 2012 at 9:50:29 pm

Unless a lav is specifically listed as a dynamic mic it's going to be an electret condenser requireing anywhere from 1.5 to 5 volts of dc power to make the lav work. A true condenser mic needs at least 12-48v phantom power and older condensers use something called 12v T power.

Eric

Return to posts index

Andrew Lewis
on Feb 9, 2012 at 8:22:55 am

Never mind this thread, I've learn that the ME2 is supposed to be use with the evolution Wireless SK bodypack transmitters Sennheiser sells too. So i guess my questions is answered, I'll go for the Shure SM93.

Unless you guys have some recommendations :)

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 9, 2012 at 1:21:29 pm

Hello Andrew and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Either mic can be equipped with an XLR. Both mics are good mics.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]