FORUMS: list search recent posts

AES Digital to Tascam HDP2

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Freer
AES Digital to Tascam HDP2
on Feb 7, 2012 at 5:48:56 pm

I'm brand new to creativecow but have many times found myself perusing the many articles here. I find myself with a question I can't find the answer to and thought the fine folks at creativecow could help me out. I currently do sound for small to medium sized productions and I use the Tascam HDP2 with a SD Mixpre. I've never been very happy with the dynamic range offered by the HDP2 and often find myself fighting against clipping. Just not that much headroom when you have a hot signal. I have two questions.

1. Would getting an upgrade to the signal path from the guys at Oade bros solve any issues.

2. Is it possible to take the AES out from the SD Mixpre D into the S/PDIF on the Tascam and have a pure digital signal in that way?

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it.

-Matthew

Return to posts index

Daniel de Homont
Re: AES Digital to Tascam HDP2
on Feb 8, 2012 at 3:58:10 pm

1. Ask Oade

2. There is the Hosa ODL-313, however in the past they had the issue, that they could not generate proper spdif headers that the mixpre does not provide either. I don't know if this has been solved in newer firmware.
http://socialsounddesign.com/questions/7156/connecting-mixpre-d-to-a-sony-p...

Although this might not be helpful, but I'd rethink investing any money in a HDP2 based system. It let me down in the past through various weaknesses.

Return to posts index

Matthew Freer
on Feb 8, 2012 at 10:47:16 pm

Thanks for the response. It definitely gives me a starting point for what to look for. I definitely have a love/hate relationship with the Tascam HDP2. When I get all the settings right and avoid the weird hiccups it has sometimes, it performs beautifully. I love that it is so light. I'd definitely prefer a SD 722 or SD 788 which I've used and love, but owning personally right now is not really an option. I'm just trying to find ways to make what I already have work the best it can until I get a SD or Aaton C.

Return to posts index

Daniel de Homont
on Feb 9, 2012 at 12:02:37 am

The biggest issue is in fact: No balanced line, or AES/EBU input, and no firmware update in sight that implements this via firewire attached devices.
Another thing that totally bothers me is the external power input that needs fixed 12V on a non locking connector.
In the past I've had the situation more than once, that the take counting on the slate and file names got messed up since the "false take" feature did not work as expected.
Regarding weight, the HD-P2 is conveniently light, however the top buttons aren't really good for bag use. The 788t, especially with a more or less neccessary external battery is quite heavy and rather for cart and occasional bag usage. The same weight issue has the Cantar and is even bulkier.
If I'd need an affordable 2 track recorder, I'd check out the Fostex FR-2. It's not much more expensive than the HD-P2 but appears to eliminate some of the discussed issues. I don't know it though, and never used it.
Just my 2...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]