FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live metronome syncing with pre-made video

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Kelly
Live metronome syncing with pre-made video
on Feb 6, 2012 at 1:55:01 pm

Hello!

I've heard of a software where you have a pre-made video synced to a recording of a song and you have a click track that is the same tempo as that recorded song. You would import your video and click track and somebody in the booth would press the space bar (or whatever key you want) to the conductors tempo and the software will adjust the playback speed of your video so ALL of the cues are correct.

My friend (who I heard this from) said it might've been an Adobe product.

So....basically, I'm trying to find this software. I'm not completely sure if this is the right forum category to put it in.

Thanks for any help!

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Live metronome syncing with pre-made video
on Feb 8, 2012 at 10:28:38 am

What I think you're after is vari-speeding a video feed. That's a tricky thing to do, requiring rendering to maintain quality. I know a couple of ways of doing it in post (Avid, Adobe and FCP can all do it) but not "live", as it were.

I think what you need to do this kind of thing live (or "as live") is "VJ" software. Not really my area, so I couldn't say which software might work for you... sorry

good luck in you search

Return to posts index

Joey Kelly
on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:31:37 pm

Thanks. That looks good, but I'm not really sure what software I need.

I'll try to simplify what I need a little better: You have a video that you made in post-production, and it's synced to a recording of the song that you're performing live next week. So, your first rehearsal is over and you notice your timings are ALL off! Actually...the conductor is off because, well, he/she's human :-). So...you make your video have a built-in click track (so you know where the beats are) and you try to find a software that can manipulate the BMP and therefore change the video accordingly (speeding it up or slowing it down). All you have to do is sit there and adjust the BPM by tapping spacebar (for instance).

I hope I clarified it a little for you :-/

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:11:24 am

That does make it clearer.

AFAIK one would normally achieve sync for that kind of thing by feeding the click track to the musicians' using earpieces, so that the musicians play in time with the video, although I guess that's not always going to be practical.

Google finds stuff like this...
http://www.audiovisualizers.com/toolshak/vjprgpix/flowmotion/flowmotion.htm
quote: "With this controller you can sync every video to the internal looping sequencer which in turn can be synced to MIDI Clock [*] or Tap Tempo (tap the spacebar to make it sync to the tempo of your tapping)."

...but as I indicated, I haven't used that stuff so I couldn't say which of the various software available would work best for you.

Return to posts index

Joey Kelly
on Feb 9, 2012 at 1:01:04 pm

Interesting. It looks like what I want, but I wonder if there's a more recent version (FlowMotion still uses Windows XP, I have Windows 7). I know there are solutions for XP software to work on Windows 7, but I wonder if there IS a newer software.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:15:42 pm

Is the conductor not cooperating? Is the conductor not able to follow the tempo of the recorded audio/video?

I recently attended a movie/concert of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring where all the music was live and synced to the recorded dialog, SFX, Foley, etc. Full symphony orchestra, large SATB choir, large boys' choir, vocal soloists, etc.

They fed a version of the video to the conductor's monitor with the beats clearly marked with semi-transparent giant white dots in the middle of the frame. They also had other cues on-screen like transitions, crescendos, decrescendos, etc.

Return to posts index

Joey Kelly
on Feb 10, 2012 at 6:58:37 pm

It's not that she's not cooperating. Just that she gets confused with the click track and the orchestra (that may be speeding up involuntarily).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]