FORUMS: list search recent posts

Advice on recording in this room

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Platt
Advice on recording in this room
on Feb 5, 2012 at 2:41:17 am

I want to do some voice overs in my office. The corner of my office has this Rotunda that is part of the larger office. I will be using my Mac, an Onyx mixer and a headset.

1.) Will recording in a room like this that is semi-enclosed be good for recording audio?
2.) What can I do to improve the sound in the room?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Advice on recording in this room
on Feb 5, 2012 at 12:58:52 pm

Hello Michael,

What do you intend to do with what you record?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Michael Platt
on Feb 5, 2012 at 4:51:32 pm

Hi Ty,

I will be producing web videos.

I know it is not the ideal location, I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if recording in it is better or worst than being in a big open room? Is the fact that it is semi enclosed good?

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 5, 2012 at 5:11:46 pm

shooting video in that room?

Sorry, I don't get it.

Ty

Return to posts index

Michael Platt
on Feb 5, 2012 at 6:02:55 pm

Hi Ty,

I will be shooting videos possibly in the this location, maybe some basic web video, maybe using an HVX200, though the goal really is to create videos at other locations and put together still images in Final Cut or Adobe Premiere, and than add voice overs to them in the location in the attached image. So all though I might shoot some video in this spot, the purpose of this question is really to determine if it is a decent location for recording voice overs, understanding that from an audio engineer's perspective it may not be ideal, though is it a good spot to even consider VS. doing it in a big open room?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 5, 2012 at 7:47:28 pm

Michael,

OK, gotcha. First you may have to put the tower elsewhere to keep the noise out of your mic. Just around the corner may do.

Second, I'd treat the walls between each window and float a diffuser/absorber from the ceiling. Put a rug on the floor.

Depending on how "studio" you wanted it to sound, I'd probably first try a Countryman E6 mic. You can hear one in my video here. http://db.tt/Lf5EsM4M

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Michael Platt
on Feb 5, 2012 at 8:13:31 pm

Hi Ty,

1. Never thought of the noise issue from the tower. Do you think putting a sound blanket over it might work good enough so I can keep it in the same spot?

2. I have access to sound blankets. Should I hang one behind me to enclose myself in the rotunda and block myself off from the rest of the larger room?

3. Are these travertine floors bad for recording spoken word?

I actually have access to that exact mic you recommended.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 5, 2012 at 8:45:57 pm

[Michael Platt] "1. Never thought of the noise issue from the tower. Do you think putting a sound blanket over it might work good enough so I can keep it in the same spot?

You'll find out.

2. I have access to sound blankets. Should I hang one behind me to enclose myself in the rotunda and block myself off from the rest of the larger room?

If that room is noisy, that would help..enough?

3. Are these travertine floors bad for recording spoken word?"

Don't know but any hard surface sucks.

Regards,

Ty

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Feb 5, 2012 at 11:07:58 pm

Michael,

Why don''t you make some test recordings using the same settings for each space (mic placement, gain settings, etc.) and see what your ears think?

Just listening through a microphone compared to your ears can be a revelation in whether or not a space is more- or less-suited to recording.

Especially with spoken word, you need a very low noise floor. Any HVAC noise, EMI (think fluorescent lights) and vibrations that can get into the recording will degrade this noise floor. Ideally, you'd want at least 20dB between the lowest SPL of the room and the lowest SPL of the voice speaking.

As far as treatment goes, diffusion is your friend. I don't think low frequency build-up will be a big issue, but the early reflections from the walls may be. I recommend a dual-layer approach: one set of packing blankets with air space in-between another set - say a 4"-6" gap. That should dampen the reflections in the mid frequencies and high frequencies a good bit. Don't forget about the ceiling, too!

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]