FORUMS: list search recent posts

H4N file error

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Lyon
H4N file error
on Feb 4, 2012 at 9:31:50 pm

Hello, I'm still learning everything about my new zoom H4N, so hopefully somebody can help me. I recorded in 4 ch. mode, using the sd 2gb card it came with, on batteries, with 2 external mics and got all of my footage except one external mic file. Meaning I got the onboard mic file but not the external mic (I)file. When I tried to import it into final cut express all the files came in except that one said "file error: 1 file recognized, 0 access denied, 1 unknown". Then I went back to figure it out, and the file is there when connected to my computer and I could play it in I-tunes. Strangely the entire file (not just the external mic part) is gone when I playback at my h4n?? But they both show up when i connect to computer? Any help is appreciated,
Kelly

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: H4N file error
on Feb 5, 2012 at 12:57:26 pm

Hello Kelly and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

Itunes has limitations. It usually won't playback files with more than two tracks, at least not the 4-tr files from my Sound Devices 744T. If I try to import them, iTumes blinks, but does nothing.

I'd connect the H4N to the computer and pull a copy of the files off and put them on your computer. As you experiment with figuring out what to do, make copies of these files and work with the copies so if you do something to the files that makes them unusable, you still have workable copies.

Try dragging the files from iTunes to your desktop. And please let us know how it goes.

You might also try WaveAgent from Sound Devices to see it can sort out the problems. http://www.sounddevices.com/products/waveagent.htm

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Kelly Lyon
on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:33:50 pm

Thanks Ty,
I don't usually import into I-tunes, I was trying to import into Final cut Express. After copying the files to my desktop I double clicked on the corrupt file and I-tunes opened it (must of been my default) and it played. I'm thinking it may have just been a bad part of the sd card? I've shot since then on a different card, with no problems. I also asked the zoom h4n guys to update their compatible card list, since it hasn't been updated since 2009. Should I assume the sd card it came with is bad?
Thanks,
Kelly

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Feb 7, 2012 at 12:18:20 am

Kelly,

Maybe it was just the phase of the moon that corrupted the file. See if you can duplicate the situation in a non-life threatening situation.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]