FORUMS: list search recent posts

What is this sound effect called?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Falcone
What is this sound effect called?
on Feb 2, 2012 at 11:50:37 pm

I'm been trying to search & find this sound for a very long time. It's not much of a sound, but a frequency of bass.

It is featured is almost every movie to either give out intense motion, loud noises, etc. It also heightens the tension; it can be used for a lot of things.

I'll give you an example, if you don't really know what I'm talking about,

Go to 0:37 and listen,

It's that intense bass. Does any audio professional know what I'm talking about? How would I be able to produce the same effect?

Thank you if you can help!

“I don't believe in total freedom for the artist. Left on his own, free to do anything he likes, the artist ends up doing nothing at all. If there's one thing that's dangerous for an artist, it's precisely this question of total freedom, waiting for inspiration and the rest of it.” -FEDERICO FELLINI

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: What is this sound effect called?
on Feb 3, 2012 at 2:45:02 am

Not unexpectedly, Marco, I can't hear it on my lap top.

LF tones are generated by synths, or synth software. Pro Tools has a plugin called Xpand (now Xpand2) that when played by a MIDI keyboard allows you to choose the LF tone you want.

Sometimes it's big drums or gongs.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Feb 3, 2012 at 7:10:13 am

Simply sounds like some very low frequency noise mixed in with the enhanced bass line.

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Feb 3, 2012 at 2:59:48 pm

As the others suggested, that sound is very likely produced by a synth. Pretty much any subtractive synthesis instrument can produce something similar pretty quickly. It probably started with an oscillator generating noise that was then low-pass filtered to keep only the deepest bass without producing a distinct note. Play around with amp and filter enveloppes to give the sound the "shape" you want. Compress like crazy. EQ a bit more if needed and you'll have a cone-rattling low frequency tone.

This kind of sound should be used sparingly as it occupies a whole lot of audio energy and will only be felt on systems with proper bass representation and because it loses impact when repeated.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Feb 3, 2012 at 5:09:05 pm

It's always tough to tell with low frequency tones like that. This is just a guess, but to me it sounds like a sample of a muted timpani roll (w/soft mallets) played at a lower pitch (real timpani don't go that low) with some of the top end rolled off. Probably a low synth tone mixed in as well, as other posters have mentioned.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

Marco Falcone
on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:03:32 pm

Thank you for all the replies!

“I don't believe in total freedom for the artist. Left on his own, free to do anything he likes, the artist ends up doing nothing at all. If there's one thing that's dangerous for an artist, it's precisely this question of total freedom, waiting for inspiration and the rest of it.” -FEDERICO FELLINI

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Feb 3, 2012 at 5:30:38 pm

HI Marco.
If you want me to send you some just like those in your sample, just pop your email address to me and ill attach some. These are often used basic work tools in post. Youre welcome to a handful of mine.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Feb 3, 2012 at 9:40:11 pm

Well if Marco won't accept your offer please allow me to ask for the same. My name is keith mc gregor and I help with sound design/fx and visual fx for independent and student productions.
I am going to be helping out on 4 or so small features this year and I am looking for all kinds of sfx to meld and create new and interesting sounds. I am doing sound design for independent and student fimmakers and they are requesting this exact type of sound for ambience, or character reveal, or psychological impact, etc.
if the offer would stand for a non-Marco please email me: beefykieth@gmail.com.
Thanks a million!
Of course you would get the credit when I would use one, and my undying thanks.
-Keith

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 3, 2012 at 11:59:22 pm

Alternately, go to SoundDogs or one of the other thousand on-line audio SFX sites and search "rumble."

You should be able to pick from dozens if not hundreds.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Ken Maxwell
on Feb 16, 2012 at 3:36:37 am

Around here it's called a "Pedal-Tone Suspension". . . a colored fundamental tone "suspended" through a musical (or dramatic) passage. It can be generated by a low register musical instrument or synth. The tone is manipulated by effects, to taste.

Return to posts index

Marco Falcone
on Mar 19, 2012 at 10:01:58 pm

@Peter Thank you! My email is marcofalcone@me.com. Please drop a few :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]