FORUMS: list search recent posts

Purchasing new wireless audio equipment, what bands are recommended?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bandy
Purchasing new wireless audio equipment, what bands are recommended?
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:03:48 am

I'm looking to purchase new wireless audio equipment for filming in California. I was using AKG receivers in the 700mhz range but the FCC is now using those frequencies. What bands do you recommend buying new equipment in? I tested out Shure's UHF-R equipment in bands G1 and H4. Both worked great, but are there any other bands anyone can recommend. Some of the Shure equipment is pricy but I don't want to be cheap and get stuck with a system I don't like for years to come. Likewise I don't want to buy anything that will be obsolete in 2 years. I am only filming conferences with people speaking, no music or live shows. I'm asking for help since this is not my area of expertise. What have you heard, what are you using make and model, how is it working, what band or frequencies are you using?

Thank You!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Purchasing new wireless audio equipment, what bands are recommended?
on Jan 31, 2012 at 12:59:30 pm

The Sennheiser G3 series is a very good buy at about $600 for TX & RX. They offer 3 frequency blocks "A-B-G" that covers 514-698Mzh. I use them and they do the job for me on commercials, films & other projects.

Lectrosonic & Zaxcom wireless are at the top end of pro wireless and are used in just about every feature film & broadcast production but their prices are about 4-5x higher than the Sennheiser G3 series. If your wallet can take a $2500 hit get the Lectro from a pro audio dealer who can guide you through the various models.

Eric

Return to posts index

Joel Servetz
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:20:45 pm

I've been very successfully using Audio Technica 1800 series and Shure ULX series wireless systems, both reasonably priced mid-range systems, in Florida and the NY/NJ metropolitan area. If you will be concentrating on a particular region you should check the FCC website and also the manufacturer's websites for the right bands and frequencies to use in your location.

Joel Servetz
RGB Media Services, LLC
Sarasota, Fl
videobyjoel@aol.com
http://www.rgbmediaservices.com

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:42:06 pm

I listed brands not bands. My mistake for reading the title too fast.

Eric

Return to posts index

Jordan Wolf
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:45:02 pm

All of the wireless microphone manufacturers I can think of have some sort of frequency finder tool on their websites to assist users in finding what will work for a given area of [wherever they're at].

I suggest you search for them, add the appropriate info, and see what comes up.

Wolf
<><

Return to posts index

Joe Bandy
on Feb 2, 2012 at 7:56:14 am

Thanks for the information, I'm contacting reps from different companies to find what will work best for the area where we film now. I did see on Shure's site a list of available frequencies generated by giving them our area code. I'll investigate further.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]