FORUMS: list search recent posts

Headphones and hearing damage

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Hall
Headphones and hearing damage
on Jan 30, 2012 at 1:48:50 pm

I'm a video editor by trade. I work in corporate video and edit in a cubicle with headphones on. This is the first job I've had that didn't use speakers while editing. I'm concerned that using headphones for 8 hours a day for weeks at a clip can damage my ears. Am I worrying about nothing or should I try to figure out another solution?

I'm not sure this is the best forum but I figure you guys would have as much insight into this as anyone.

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Headphones and hearing damage
on Jan 30, 2012 at 2:37:46 pm

Hello Bill and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

I understand your concern. First, to get a baseline, get a hearing test. They usually don't go higher than 8 kHz, but will tell you where you're at right now.

Headphones, in and of themselves, won't damage your hearing unless you turn them up. Fortunately, you're in control of that.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
on Jan 30, 2012 at 3:50:06 pm

Thanks for the reply. Are there any safety standards or measurements that I can use as a guide? If I was only using them once in a while I wouldn't be so concerned but this is a daily thing.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:36:15 pm

In my opinion, your smart to be aware - very smart to seek reliable info - but shouldn't yet become actively worried.

The insidious issue with hearing damage is that a component of it is often both cumulative and hidden until much later in life.

So your early awareness of the potential is excellent.

Ty's advice is spot on. The absolute best path is a baseline hearing test followed by re testing at regular intervals.

If that's not possible, then try to find a way to formalize and manage listening levels on your own.

Presuming that you have loudness control of your headphones, try to determine your personal lowest effective listening level, put a physical mark on the control nob or slider (or find a way to take a snapshot of an on-screen control) then formalize a process for regular monthly review.

If you find that you're "creeping up" your levels. Be wary. That may mean that your becoming conditioned to the loudness and need more to perceive the same clarity.

There are "decibel" pegged safe listening levels to be found on the net, but without a reliable sound pressure level meter, it's very difficult to measure this reliably.

Bottom line is that awareness is your best defense, and you're already aware.

Congratulations!

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Bob Kessler
on Jan 30, 2012 at 5:54:25 pm

Raising the volume, when your hearing is okay, is the result of having lots of background noise. Also remember to take breaks because even your ears can get tired (ear fatigue). If you are editing sections that don't actually require you to hear what's going on take the headphones off.

Be sure that you are using close-backed headphones to reduce the amount of background noise from your environment. There is even a company that install headphones into pistol range ear protectors (don't remember the name right now) for those who need to record audio in high dB situations. And get headphones that sound good to you; you're not editing the audio (are you?) so be comfortable with how the headphones sound. I personally like "around the ear" headphones that keep the speakers further from my ears.

Peace,

Bob

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 4, 2012 at 12:07:26 am

[Bob Kessler] "here is even a company that install headphones into pistol range ear protectors (don't remember the name right now) for those who need to record audio in high dB situations. "

Pretty sure Location Audio in CA sells the units that remount Sony 7506 cans into Aviation headsets - which is kinda the "big gun" solution for monitoring in loud locations.

YMMV.

"Before speaking out ask yourself whether your words are true, whether they are respectful and whether they are needed in our civil discussions."-Justice O'Connor

Return to posts index

Bill Hall
on Jan 31, 2012 at 1:34:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked and regular hearing screenings are covered at 100% with my health plan so it looks like I should schedule one.

I was made pretty sensitive to hearing damage after all of the safety briefings we had in the Army. Plus my former boss was an Artillery man turned videographer who wore hearing aides because they didn't care about hearing protection back in the day.

Return to posts index

Corbin Gross
on Feb 2, 2012 at 4:04:36 pm

I'm an in-house cubicle editor too, I feel your pain.

Here's my input. I have a set of M-Audio DX4s on my desk. Not pro monitors of course, but they'll do. I have a pretty decent relationship with the people around me and I only have to wear my headphones about 20% of the time.

Basically I'll do most of my editing at a reasonable office level, then listen with the headphones on for critical things that need too much volume for sharing.

You might also request that you occupy a cubicle at the edge or in a corner so as to disturb as few people as possible. Also, if you get your monitors up to ear level you really won't need much volume to be able to hear what you're doing most of the time.

Corbin Gross
Photo/Video
SANMAR
Marketing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]