FORUMS: list search recent posts

USB Audio with Mixpre-D & Mac

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Carr
USB Audio with Mixpre-D & Mac
on Jan 26, 2012 at 5:19:17 am

HI Guys,

I have a Sound Devices MixPre D and I wanted to use it to record something on my Mac. I plugged it in and went to the midi control panel and changed the input and output to the Mixpre-D which showed up in the menu there.

The thing is, with my other input options, like my webcam, there is also the ability to adjust the input volume. Not for the Mixpre-D though.

The result is that if I set my levels correctly on the Mixpre-D , the input level coming into my Mac is VERY low. I recorded a screen captured video and in Final Cut had to apply the max +12 gain to the audio track and that still didn't get me in quite the right place!

I tried in Garageband as well and the there is only the smallest almost imperceptible movement on the mic level meter there as well.

What is going on? Am I missing something here ?

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: USB Audio with Mixpre-D & Mac
on Jan 26, 2012 at 1:27:46 pm

HI Dan,

Contact Sound Devices and then report back. I didn't have any problems when I reviewed it last year. The USB output of the MixPre D is digital, so if you're getting good levels into it, it doesn't make sense that they are showing up low in your Mac.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Dan Carr
Re: USB Audio with Mixpre-D & Mac
on Jan 26, 2012 at 4:44:08 pm

Thanks Ty, good to hear someone with a positive experience. I'll contact SD today and see what they say.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]