FORUMS: list search recent posts

voice over trap and mike rec.

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
voice over trap and mike rec.
on Jan 11, 2012 at 6:12:18 pm

http://www.realtraps.com/p_pvb.htm

what do you think of this and can you give me some recommendations of vo mikes at around $1000.

thanks

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: voice over trap and mike rec.
on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:19:45 am

Hello Craig,

A (very) little absorption on the deaf side of any mic is not enough to overcome a bad acoustic environment except on CSI.

Try this: http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=current_microphones&cid=tlm102_descripti...

Regards,

Ty Ford
Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 12, 2012 at 10:17:32 am

Thanks Ty. Comes in at $700. cool.

Can you recommend a portable sound booth of some kind or does this really take a room designed for this purpose?

Also if we were to use the TLM102 directly into an editing program will the mixpre-d do the trick. I know it can provide the phantom power required.

Also would you advise a thrid party shock mount or does the stand mount that comes with it do the trick?

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 12, 2012 at 1:10:00 pm

Craig,

Do you really need a booth? Tell us about what's going on at your place.

Suspension mounts are important if you have a lot of structure born vibrations. If you don't have that, you should be oK without one.

Mix PreD will work. You might want a pop filter.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 12, 2012 at 6:14:14 pm

The video production class shoots a variety of short form videos, some of which require a voice over added in post. It is rare that we can record anything isolated from group noise. I have 4-5 production teams per class. This just looked like it was possible to block some of the surrounding environment.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 12, 2012 at 9:38:08 pm

Craig,

That line from Dirty Harry comes to mind. Do Ya Feel Lucky? Well, Do Ya?

I have no way of knowing what you deem acceptable. While it will block SOME direct sound. I doubt it will be enough. Blocking sound like this from the rear of a directional mics really doesn't buy you much.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:17:07 pm

I've never used a PVB, but our VO booth uses their bass traps which are excellent.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz 8 GB RAM OS 10.5.8 QT7.6.4 Kona 3 Dual Cinema 23 ATI Radeon HD 3870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec Monitors, PrimaLT ISDN

Return to posts index

Tony Koretz
on Jan 17, 2012 at 9:55:49 am

If you are having problems with picking up too much noise from round the room you may want to consider the Shure sm7b as a VO mic. They don't have a lot of gain and so require a good quite preamp with plenty of usable gain, but they have the advantage of allowing you to get really close to the capsule. If proximity effect is likely to be a problem, the ElectroVoice RE20 is another possibility as it has virtually no proximity effect ( ie: it doesn't sound bassier the closer you get to it). Both are dynamic mics and require no +48. Both of these mics have a long history as broadcast announcer mics and are well under your $1000 figure, which means you have some money left over for sound treatment in the room.
Well acoustically treated recording spaces make a world of differencre to the outcome v untreated spaces.

Rocksure Soundz
http://rocksuresoundz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]