FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony HDR-CX560V External Mic Hum

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Bartee
Sony HDR-CX560V External Mic Hum
on Jan 8, 2012 at 3:38:12 am

I have a Sony HDR-CX560V. Because the internal microphone isn't the best, I purchased a compact Rode VideoMic Pro as well as a Sennheiser EW112P G3B wireless lavalier mic setup.

This is where it gets interesting. If I listen to the internal mic the audio doesn't have any noticeable buzz. If I hook up the Rode shotgun mic and plug it into the mic in jack there is a noticeable buzz that appears in the background noise. If hook up the Sennheiser receiver to the mic I still hear that same buzz but it is a bit more quiet.

I have set the mic input to low on the camcorder, thinking that the camera might be introducing the buzz because it was trying to find some noise to boost when there wasn't any sound present. Also, I don't think this is AC related since I tested this while the camera was on battery power.

Could this be due to the fact that both the Sennheiser receiver and the Rode shotgun mic are powered microphones and they are somehow interfering with the power that the Sony camcorder sends to the microphone jack? Would something like a beachtek or a juicedlink be able to solve this problem? Is this some kind of DC ground loop problem? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Sony HDR-CX560V External Mic Hum
on Jan 8, 2012 at 11:01:29 pm

Hello Joe and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The Rode cable is wired to bridge a mono source (your mic or wireless) to a stereo input. Are you plugging the Rode straight into the camera?

That's an unbalanced connection. If you try to use it maybe somewhere else with less local interference, it might work without noise.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Carl Sorensen
Re: Sony HDR-CX560V External Mic Hum
on Jan 19, 2014 at 5:33:10 am

Hello,

I know that I am pretty late to this party as it's an old thread but I found this while Googling because I have the same camera. Sony CX560V.

I am recording talking head style videos (for YouTube) and wanted to use a wireless lavalier system. I purchased a Shure BLX14 w/PG185 mic and after trying it out for a day it's "ok" but not the quality I want to portray in my videos. So now I am looking at the Sennheiser ew112p w/ME2 lavalier mic.

This camera is not the best for this type of audio (it was an xmas present 2 years ago) and has a 3.5 input jack but it's what I got.

There is almost no settings for external mic input only a Low and a High for mic volume that's it. So not sure how the sennheiser will sound with such minimal audio control.

I'm willing to drop the money on the sennheiser but if my camera is going to bottleneck and make my audio still sound bad then I am not sure what to do, and arrived here.

I want wireless lavalier for future video plans, so no to shotgun style for now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]