FORUMS: list search recent posts

Routing cable connections from MacPro using Mackie 1202

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Ungerer
Routing cable connections from MacPro using Mackie 1202
on Jan 7, 2012 at 7:24:34 pm

I apologize in advance if this question is too rudimentary. I have a MacPro audio output connected with a Y connector (3.5mm stereo to two XLR stereo) to a pair of M-Audio BX5 speakers. Works fine. I have a Mackie 1202 mixer I'd like to use to route the signal from the MacPro through the Mackie to the speakers and tie in a Sony PCM-D50 recorder (3.5 stereo i/o). I'd like to be able to receive the signal from the MacPro to the D50 (stereo i/o), monitoring the audio through the speakers. When connecting the XLRs to the Mackie using mike inputs, and sending the signal onto the speakers; the sound plays in mono on one speaker. My conclusion: Mackie mike inputs are not stereo. Any suggestions about how to configure (wiring, plugs) or where to go with this question that doesn't offend anyone on this list?

Walter Ungerer

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Routing cable connections from MacPro using Mackie 1202
on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:18:45 pm

Have a read through the 1202's manual. If you haven't got one you can find it here http://www.mackie.com/pdf/archive/ms1202_om.pdf

The mic inputs are indeed mono. To achieve what I think you want, I would swap the mini-jack to XLR cable for a mini-jack to 2 x TRS one and connect the computer's output to line input 5/6, which is a stereo input (if you have to use the XLR mic inputs you can pan the two inputs hard left and right and set the levels independently). Get a pair of mini-jack to 2 x phono cables and connect the PCM-D50 via the tape input and tape output on the 1202.

I would do some tests to make sure that the signal level going to the recorder worked properly without causing any distortion at the recorder's input. (It's possible that the mixer's tape output might be too high for the recorder and you'll need to adjust it somehow - you can buy attenuators if you need to.)

Connect the speakers to the main outputs of the 1202 by a pair of stereo jack cables [1/4" TRS at each end or 1/4" TRS to XLR] and set the volume control on the speakers for your preferred level.

This isn't the only way you can wire up the 1202, but it's probably the simplest way to do what you're asking.

Return to posts index

Walter Ungerer
Re: Routing cable connections from MacPro using Mackie 1202
on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:52:54 pm

You answered it all. Thanks, much appreciated.

Walter Ungerer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]