FORUMS: list search recent posts

recommendations for variety of higher end mikes and audio gear

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
recommendations for variety of higher end mikes and audio gear
on Jan 6, 2012 at 5:41:45 pm

Putting together proposal for studio audio upgrade package. One time grant with no on-going budget so no chance to try out and see.

What we already have:
a cyc wall about 25’ + another 10’ wall curved around one side
a lighting grid at about 16 feet high (low for a studio I know)
a cork floor that is virtually silent in terms of footsteps and echo.
The room does not yet have acoustic treatment but we are working on it: combo of sound blankets, sound panels, foam on ceiling.
The overall room is 38’ x 53’.
Camcorders:
3 Panasonic P2HD 1) AG-HPX250 2) HPX170
2 Sony z7u-s
10 canon HV40/30s
Flypack with a panasonic mixer package:
recording to a KIPRO:
Analog Audio +24dBu (default)

Mackie Onyx 1220i - 12-Channel FireWire Recording Mixer.
Plenty of xlr cables
Sony 7506 headphones
Sound devices 302/mixpre-d mixers

MIKES so far:
2 AUDIO-TECHNICA AT4053C
5 SENNHEISER MD-46 handhelds
10 Sennheiser E815SX
7 G2/g3 cordless kits
A few countryman B6/B3 lav/headsets for sennheiser
5 Sennheiser ME66/K6 - Shotgun Condenser Microphones
With kit:
Pearstone DUSM-1 Universal Shock Mount,
Rycote Standard Hole Softie Windscreen with 19 - 22mm (0.74 - 0.87") Hole Size
K-Tek KE-89CC Avalon Series Aluminum Boompole with Internal Coiled XLR Cable,
Pearstone Universal Microphone Hand Grip,

What I need is recommendations for
Higher end mikes/gear for a variety of productions.

I am not crazy about the coiled cables in k-tek boom poles. Keep getting tangled. I’m tempted to just leave them fully extended.

Recommendations for:

Better Boom poles with connections for straight XLRs

Schoeps cmc641 for booms/mike stands/voiced overs?
Other recommendations?
Auto mixer for panel discussions
Shock mounts/wind shields if needed beyond ones mentioned above.
Not crazy about some cheap mike stands we have.
I have plenty of c stands with 40" Arm with Griphead and perhaps we can mount our mikes on these when needed – for bth on and off cam shoots -- accessories to do this?
Or other ways to securely fix mikes in situations where we won’t be using boom pole operators.

Would the Sound Devices 744T 4-Channel Portable Audio Recorder with Time Code improve audio quality significantly over recording directly to the KI Pro. The time code would allow syncing in post. Yes?

I’m also happy with the cordless kits performance (not hearing interferance at this site) but the sound quality does not match the other mikes I already have.

wired lavs – recommendations.

I think the countrymans may be able to accept the xlr extensions but I’d have to check. They came with sennheiser connections as kits.

Other needs: higher end mike for voice overs/handheld speakers.

Some form of portable booth to create a good ADR/voice over space.

Or anything else you think will be useful down the road.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Stephen Hall
Re: recommendations for variety of higher end mikes and audio gear
on Jan 7, 2012 at 4:17:49 pm

Hi Craig,

I'm not qualified to comment on all of your equipment and plans, but I do have a couple of suggestions.

First, about the K-Tek internally-wired booms: they don't really have any problems with internal cable kinking unless the sections are turned relative to each other, causing knots. I had to have my K-Tek 12-footer re-cabled after my first year of ownership because I was careless about handling it while collapsing the pole.

The key is to keep the socket and the mike mount aligned one way and take pains to keep that alignment the whole day during use. When collapsing it, if the cable does provide a little resistance, be gentle, back off and turn the uppermost section a little clockwise until the kink is gone and the section can be collapsed without resistance. Don't jam down on the pole and force it -- you'll abrade the cable and it will eventually fail.

K-Tek has excellent, superior customer service, though, and the cost to re-cable a pole won't break the bank. I love my K-Tek boom and have not had to have any repairs in 3 years after learning how to use it properly!

The Sennheiser G2/G3 wireless sets and Countryman B3/B6 mics are a great combo. I've found that I can use the Sennheiser MZA 900P XLR adapter (it's a preamp with switchable low-cut filter) with my B3 mics to use them wired. The B6 mics don't seem to work with that preamp, though. I can successfully use the Sennheiser ME2s, Countryman EMW and B3s with the MZA 900P, which means I don't have to have a lot of duplication in mics to switch between wired and wireless.

As for shock mounts, I recommend the Rycote Invision mounts ("lyre"). They're remarkably capable at isolating the mic from boom handling noise. Not expensive, either. They even have retrofit kits so you can use them with an older-style Rycote zeppelin, if you have one.

The Schoeps CMC641 mic is wonderful, glorious-sounding for dialogue. If you have the budget, it would be a terrific addition. I really can't say enough good things about how this mic sounds when employed properly.

Cheers,

Stephen H
http://sound.facesproject.org/

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 7, 2012 at 7:58:09 pm

Thank you.
I have contacted k-tek and as you say they offer very good support. My problem is I have 30 production teams and even if I master keeping the pole untwisted, it will continue to get twisted. I think what I will do is leave them fully extended and only fold them down myself. Just the same I am looking for higher quality polls with straight cords. The audio pros I know do not use the internal corded models.

On the Schoeps CMC641 -- how are you using them? On a boom? Hand-held? V.O.? All.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Stephen Hall
on Jan 7, 2012 at 8:52:34 pm

Yeah, I can see how an internally-cabled boom used in a school environment or someplace where lots of different folks will be using it might not be ideal. Inevitably, someone will be in a hurry or careless. One possibility to consider is one of the poles where a straight cable runs through the pole and slides in and out of the base. I'm not sure which manufacturer makes those.

I've used the Schoeps on a boom, as a plant mic (within 18-22" of the actor's mouth and for voice over work. I would suggest that it's way too sensitive for use hand-held. While the Schoeps sounds glorious, to me, there are probably mics more appropriate for VO work -- I've read about large-diaphragm condenser mics like the Neumann TLM-103, etc. in that role, as well as dynamic mics like the Electro Voice Re-20 and even the Sennheiser MKH-416 when used in a treated environment.

I'm sure there are lots of folks on this board who could offer more informed opinions about VO mics.

Stephen H

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 8, 2012 at 12:39:49 am

Thanks. I'll do a search for voice over and for boom poles and see what's been said. The Schoeps and 744T are on my wish list unless someone like Ty says such and such is a better choice for a boom set up.

Return to posts index

Tony Koretz
on Jan 14, 2012 at 11:44:34 pm

Mics for voice over works:
Because not every one's voice suits every mic here are some I recommend:
Top Two:
1)Neumann U87: If you can afford one get it. Been the standard for years. Someone mentioned a Neumann TLM103. Personally that mic is the subject of a lot of love/hate in the industry...probably more than any other Neumann mic. I personally would suggest best to avoid it. There are better mics for less money out there.

2)Shure sm7 or sm7B: A dynamic mic that will cover most voices that don't suit a U87. Also been a broadcast standard for years.

Other good mics for this application are Electrovoice RE20: A dynamic mic, Great for some voices not for others.
AKG C414: Condensor mic:many different sub models of this mic..some better than others, but also a long time standard. Other brands like Rode K2 or some of the Audio Technica condensor mics are also good, and considerably cheaper than the Neumann

Rocksure Soundz
http://www.rocksuresoundz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]