FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Monitoring Hot and Distorted

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall Clarke
Audio Monitoring Hot and Distorted
on Jan 1, 2012 at 4:28:38 pm

Using Sony Vegas 10 and the Phonic Helix 12 Firewire Mixer Board

Can record audio fine, monitor fine, but when I try to listen to what was recorded, it is distorted. Levels are in the red on the mixer board, perfect in sony vegas..

All I do is depress the Firewire/2TN button and turn up the control room pot slightly and its very crackly..

Turning off the board and reseting the audio device in sony vegas - audio is great

Been working on this on and off for a year, finally got around to posting...It seems to me the signal is coming back too hot to the board..but whether that is a windows setting, board setting, vegas setting or just wont work period I have not idea

thanks
Randall

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
Re: Audio Monitoring Hot and Distorted
on Jan 1, 2012 at 11:21:27 pm

Hello Randall and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

The most frequent cause for this is someone plugging a line level source into a mic level input.

What are you plugging into the mixer?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Randall Clarke
on Jan 2, 2012 at 7:00:55 am

Thanks Ty

i'm not plugging in anything - it is connected via firewire and I have headphones plugged into the jack on the mixer...the audio has to be coming back to the mixer via firewire - there is no other connection

audio is totally disabled on the computer with the board on and vegas set to asio for the phonic

appreciate your help...

Randall

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:20:56 pm

Randall,

Gotcha. Yes, it sounds like a system issue. I have no experience with PC audio control panels and since you're coming back via FW or USB, it may not show up there.

Does Phonic offer a support forum? Yes, I see it does. http://www.phonic.com/

Head on over there and see if you can find some "love."

Regards,

Ty Ford

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

André Engelhardt
on Jan 2, 2012 at 2:19:47 pm

Hi Randall,

I'd try by trying to pinpoint the culprit by elimination starting with the software and possible drivers first.
Have you tried recording and playing back using another application of your choice to see if it occurs there as well, if so it might be a driver issue, so next step would be to check for updated drivers and after that hooking it up to another computer.

Just some ideas,

good luck!

--
Audio Engineer, Sound Designer
Video- and Photographer
http://www.andreengelhardt.net

Return to posts index

Randall Clarke
on Jan 2, 2012 at 3:12:56 pm

Hey thanks for the suggestions...another program was my next step, but I don't think that is the problem..maybe my sound card cp, and checking out the phonic site are the way to go next - THANKS !

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 4, 2012 at 11:23:55 am

Cant explain the levels (hot) part, but distrotion can easily appear if you are connecting speakers to the system using unbal connectors where balanced is needed. Check this too.
peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Randall Clarke
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:13:46 pm

Hi

well the speakers are completely off when you set the system to asio...I'm monitoring with headphones plugged into he mixer...the audio returns from the timeline to the mixer via firewire - this is the only connection..

phonic forum looks real weak, submitted a ticket...optimistic as to whether I get a response...

thanks

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jan 4, 2012 at 4:39:16 pm

it wouldnt matter if the speakers are off or not. Only disconnected would stop the problem ive encountered in the past with un bal speakers where bal is needed.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]