FORUMS: list search recent posts

XLR to mini-jack - need assistance

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kenn Baynard
XLR to mini-jack - need assistance
on Dec 23, 2011 at 5:40:52 pm

About a year ago we purchased two Panasonic AG-HMC40 HD cams for our news operation, complete with the XLR mic adapter. Unfortunately the mic adapters didn't hold up to the abuse news threw at them and kept coming off the handles on the cameras, so we tried ditching those and going with XLR to mini mic cables and using the camera's mini-jack mic input. I purchased two of these cables:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/157946-REG/Comprehensive_XLRJ_MPS_10S...

Which seemed to work great, but we were having some weird audio issues, which turned out to be phasing problems with any sound recorded using these cables. Editing everything would sound fine, but when we go to air them we had to bring down one audio channel due to the channels trying to cancel each other out. To make a long story short, one of these cables went bad already so I'm looking at alternative options before I buy another one of those Comprehensive cables. Does anyone have a better suggestion? I need at least 10' in length.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: XLR to mini-jack - need assistance
on Dec 23, 2011 at 6:55:26 pm

Your problem is that you're trying to feed a balanced signal into an unbalanced input. The XLR has to be wired unbalanced. I make custom cables to solve such problems. Call me: 954-255-7628

Eric

Return to posts index

Blake Cerenzia
on Oct 12, 2015 at 10:32:35 pm

WRONG! The TRS for that kind of cable just represents the 3 male pins (biology reference there) of an XLR cable. They just use a minijack because there is not enough room for a full sized XLR jack.

Now if trying to use this cable to connect,say, an iPod to a wall plate XLR in a church or school gymnasium (PA system), this would be incorrect.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 23, 2011 at 7:07:49 pm

Hello Kenn and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

You unknowingly bought the wrong cable. The one you bought has a "plumbing conflict" with your system. It is splitting the positive peaks of the audio from the mic to one channel and the negative peaks to the other. So, in effect you have polarity cancellation when you play them back in mono.

For existing productions, if your software allows it, take one track and invert it. Not reverse, invert (reverse the polarity). I have never tried that, but arithmetically it might work.

You need a cable that connects pin #2 of the mic to both the tip and the ring of the mini plug. If you're not using the camera to power the mic, this cable will work: http://www.trewaudio.com/store/product.php?productid=146&cat=21&page=1

You can use howeverlong a cable in front of it you need. I suggest cables with Neutrik EMC XLR connectors because they do a great job of blocking RF from cell phones.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide

Return to posts index

Richard Crowley
on Dec 23, 2011 at 7:13:09 pm

If you want to make your own, instructions are on my web page here:
http://www.rcrowley.com/CamAdapt.htm
Or you can have them made for you from vendors like Redco
http://www.redco.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=126&cat=Design+Your+Own+Cus...

As others have observed, your adapter cable is not wired properly for the kind of application you are describing.

Alternatively, you could simply throw out one of the channels, and just use one of them. But that would require re-trainig all your editors :-(.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 23, 2011 at 7:18:10 pm

Thanks Eric and Richard,

Here's the cheapest solution:http://tinyurl.com/8xhrmm8

Not necessarily the best, but the cheapest.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Dec 25, 2011 at 12:39:24 pm

[Richard Crowley] "Alternatively, you could simply throw out one of the channels, and just use one of them. But that would require re-trainig all your editors :-(."

well, i might be getting old, but i've been taught NEVER EVER to use two channels if they have the same content.
There is no need obviously, but always introduces the risk of phase shifting as one can never be sure if the timing of both channels is exactly the same. (This definitly was a problem in the analogue days.)
And, of course back then we had a screaming shortage of channels, so it was a very easy choice...

For the rest of the whole discussion, i would worry about having the entire chain unbalanced, let alone the physical abuse of the minijack input. (With this setup and without some form of physical protection it won't last a week i'm afraid...)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Dec 25, 2011 at 1:10:46 pm

Merry Xmas Bouke,

I'm checking messages on Xmas morning here.

My first DAW was an AKG DES7000. It was easier to record voice to two tracks than isolate one, so I frequently did and never had a problem with it. There was more energy in two tracks and I got used to having that. While you can wander into trouble, you don't have to.

Best of the day, week and next year to all Cow folk!

Ty Ford

Cow Audio Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Kenn Baynard
on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:50:52 am

Hi Richard,

We're actually throwing out one of the channels when we air it. We just open one channel on our mixer instead of both so they don't fight each other. Works great until someone gives us a story shot with one of our older cameras and had something recorded on the channel we usually don't open. :P

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 24, 2011 at 10:39:38 pm

sort of surprised panasonic's adapter didn't work out, but I've tried a number of xlr adapters and they all fail and add noise to the signal. the Sound Devices MixPre-D Compact Field Mixer is built as solid as the rest of their line of pro audio gear and gives you great features. The mount bracket is solid except that your quick release plate has only one screw hole to mount to on the adapter. So depending on the design of the quick release plate it can twist laterally. The one screw that fits into the camera's tripod hole works surprisingly well. Very easy on and off (unlike most mounts that use wheels to tighten--cordless receivers hot shoe adapters for example).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=mixpre-d&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

Not a cheap option but control over your sound levels will increase dramatically. The mix-pre will most likely outlast your camera. And you can use them in post. You can also link them to other sound devices mixers adding extra channels of audio if you need them.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Kenn Baynard
on Dec 30, 2011 at 12:44:45 am

Panasonic's XLR boxes worked great, but weren't designed to take the abuse a news department throws at them. If they had made the mounting screws just a hair longer they might have held up better. At least now the reporters know where their audio is coming from, as once you plug something into the mini-jack mic input, it shuts the on-cam mic off.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 31, 2011 at 6:19:13 pm

Best to get the mike off the camera body, close to source. Sound Devices mixers are built solid, have great support from company, give you beautiful easy to read meters, clean quiet preamps, adjustable outputs, very good headphone amps, phantom power, etc. They'll most likely outlive your cameras.

If the only problem with pana's was the mounting screws, can't a trip to the hardware store do the trick?

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]