FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rode D Power Plug with H4n and NTG2, any experience?

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Stabb
Rode D Power Plug with H4n and NTG2, any experience?
on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:29:29 pm

Hi,

does anyone have experience using the Rode D Power plug? I am wondering if it is the appropriate piece of kit to get a hotter signal from my NTG2 shotgun mic into my Zoom H4n whilst out documentary self-shooting with my 7D. At the moment I have to crank the recording level up to 90 or more on the recorder to get decent levels (-12db) and still bump them up further in post to get things peaking at -6db. I know that the Rode D Power plug is not designed for shotgun mic's but I have heard that they can be used, the question is at what cost to sound quality if at all.
If anyone has a good audio post workflow to simply and quickly bump levels whilst keeping the recordings clean I would also love to hear it (no pun intended). I recored WAV 48/24bit on the recorder and sync and cut in FCP.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Rode D Power Plug with H4n and NTG2, any experience?
on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:41:40 pm

The D power plug is the wrong tool for the job. It's designed to drive long lines from a dynamic mic. Try your mic w/o the plug and see if there's a level difference. Is 48v phantom required for your mic or is it internally battery powered?

Eric

Return to posts index

Walter Stabb
Re: ode D Power Plug with H4n and NTG2, any experience?
on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:04:10 pm

The NTG2 can run from either an AA battery or from phantom power off the h4n.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:04:35 pm

How's the level w/o the plug?

Eric

Return to posts index

Walter Stabb
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:31:00 pm

Hi Eric,

thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Apologies, because I don't think I made my initial post that clear. What I was asking was does anyone out there have experience using the Rode D Power Plug with a shotgun mic and h4n? I don't have a Rode D Power Plug but I had heard that it could be used to boost the signal between my mic and recorder and I was putting the question out there before potentially buying one.

My problem is that the preamps on the H4n seem pretty weak and the signal given out by the NTG2 shotgun mic also seems pretty weak when either battery powered or on +48 phantom so I am having to push my record level up to max. I don't want to add a mixer in because of the added weight and complication and I thought the Rode D Power Plug might be a cheap fix that kept the whole set-up light.

Somebody here:

http://www.videomaker.com/community/forums/topic/shotgun-mic-zoom-h4n

says it has worked for them but I wanted to see if others were using this set-up.

Thanks for you input, any advice on solutions either in technical set-up or audio post processing of the files welcome.

Best,

Walter

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:24:34 am

From one response on your link it seems that I was wrong about the power plug. One poster claimed it was the answer to his problem which appears to be the same as yours. Try the plug, if it doesn't solve your problem you can always return it.

Eric

Return to posts index

Julia Gjertsen
on Jan 21, 2012 at 11:14:26 am

hello!

I am wondering if you have tested it and it worked?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]