FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mixpre D rechargeable batteries

COW Forums : Audio Professionals

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:12:12 pm

I spoke to Sound Devices tech support and they said no problem using them in the mixpre, which uses AAs. Any recommendations on brand and recharging unit? I will have 5 sets of cameras with mixpre using 2 batteries each. I figure two sets of 2 AAs per cam and rotate their use.

On a side note, the mixers have been great mounted under our Canon HV40s. Way easier to monitor sound levels, phantom power, output limiters, great headphone amp, great meters, the best miniplug I have ever used (solidly connected and never gets in the way or comes undone), both cam op and audio tech have their own set of meters, easy calibration, and, best of all, we can set the Canon’s audio level way low and leave it there without fiddling with a joystick. It blows the xlr adapters out of the water. Small complaint: I wish the mounting bracket accepted both screws of the quick release plate and supported the cam with two screws. But the cam does screw on and off very easily and allows for battery changes without taking all apart.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Eric Toline
Re: Mixpre D rechargeable batteries
on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:23:01 pm

Not sure what "way low" means but your camera level should be set at -20 from a "0" tone from the mixer.

Eric

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Mixpre D rechargeable batteries
on Dec 10, 2011 at 8:25:31 am

yes. it is calibrated. but by using the mixpre the "audio level adjustment bar" which is canon's term for a bar on the LCD that graphs how much you have raised the amount of pre-amplification is way lower than it normally would be to get levels just over -12 on the audio level indicator. It is also way easier to not have peaks hitting the zero level on the camcorder. Riding the levels is just much easier. As result the recorded sound is much better quality. By attaching the mixpre to the tripod under the camcorder, it is also very run-and-gun-one-person-shoot-friendly.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz MacPro4,1 2.66GHz 8 core 12gigs of ram. GPU: Nvidia Geoforce GT120 with Vram 512. OS X 10.6.x; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]